amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces Europe, Anycast IP's, Floating IP's, & Bandwidth pooling!

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
How about MariaDB Galera? ( https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/documentation/replication/galera/what-is-mariadb-galera-cluster/ )

I've never tried it but it sounds good to me.

It sounds like that'd work as well :)

I'm curious how it deals with split brain, or how it handles auto_increment locking.

For sure worth some tinkering!

EDIT - looks like they recommend a minimum of 3 nodes for the sake of quorum anyway. I'm assuming the nodes that can talk keep things going and the node left out would simply come back and resync changes?

Francisco
I've toyed with this and it works great...BUT the latency between different physical locations kills the ability to handle writes as quickly.  If your 3 nodes are within a few ms of it the overhead is basically non-existent, but when split up in my testing, performance was pretty terrible and slowed down a large set of queries I was trying to run.  Not sure how it would be in day to day performance of a website or something as I never got that far in testing once I realize how much the latency killed my big initial stuff.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I've toyed with this and it works great...BUT the latency between different physical locations kills the ability to handle writes as quickly.  If your 3 nodes are within a few ms of it the overhead is basically non-existent, but when split up in my testing, performance was pretty terrible and slowed down a large set of queries I was trying to run.  Not sure how it would be in day to day performance of a website or something as I never got that far in testing once I realize how much the latency killed my big initial stuff.
Which makes sense. You'd be adding 100ms+ to every query and if you have 10 of them that's a second just in network time, nevermind query time.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Since people have been asking I figured I'd add a comment on here as well.

We expect the EU servers to ship tomorrow/Tuesday. We were waiting on DHL to get back to us for a quote but it seems they're against working with anyone that isn't a large shipper. It took 2 - 3 attempts to get an account with them, as well as a few days of my time wasted.

UPS was way over priced so we're likely shipping FEDEX. Their quote was pretty good considering the weight of everything being shipped.

We can pad that figure by a week to actually get there then a few days for me to get everything installed, configured, & tested.

Francisco

willie

Which makes sense. You'd be adding 100ms+ to every query and if you have 10 of them that's a second just in network time, nevermind query time.
I dunno about mysql but MongoDB and Redis both have modes where they send updates to the slave and keep going without waiting for synchronization.  This gains speed by creating a small window for losing a few data items, that might or might not be tolerable depending on the application.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Since people have been asking I figured I'd add a comment on here as well.

We expect the EU servers to ship tomorrow/Tuesday. We were waiting on DHL to get back to us for a quote but it seems they're against working with anyone that isn't a large shipper. It took 2 - 3 attempts to get an account with them, as well as a few days of my time wasted.

UPS was way over priced so we're likely shipping FEDEX. Their quote was pretty good considering the weight of everything being shipped.

We can pad that figure by a week to actually get there then a few days for me to get everything installed, configured, & tested.

Francisco
So...  You're saying... BuyVM Euro trip?

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Christ could you imagine the guys in the red light district?

We'd get kicked off the continent.

Francisco
If you wan to act silly in Europe, go to Hamburg and reeperbahn.

The people there are hard to impress when acting silly.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
What's the latest estimate on the Anycast and LUX public availability?
Luxembourg will probably be online by end of next week.

Anycast you can pad a few extra weeks for that. I've made good progress on the code but I got pulled away to work on other projects.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
What about the shared hosting plans?  It almost makes more sense with them than with vps's.
Doing it on shared would be a complete pain in the butt for us since cPanel isn't really 'cluster' aware, nor is the entire platform 'anycasted'. This means that we'd have to manually configure syncing of files & SQL between all locations. There's also the bigger issue of cPanel having a trillion flat file databases everywhere that we'd also have to manually sync.

I don't think it'd be hard for someone to do shared anycast hosting, it just couldn't easily be done with cPanel.

Francisco

amuck-landowner