amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces free SSD upgrades on all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
If Fran can sell Las Vegas as just as good as Los Angeles, certainly New Jersey as New York is childsplay 
If I recall DigitalOcean is also in Choopa, New Jersey and they claim that it's just a few ms away too ;)

I just think the State of New Jersey is gross.  

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You want a smell to something foul drive the highway I-95 by Jacksonville, FL, that town smells to high heavens.

NJ to NYC in ms?????   Well to NYC proper sites like government and school district, 3-5ms.  It ought to be faster, but many things start out slow like this/high first hop latency.  Just a design issue of ethernet/TCPIP and congestion/QoS

DaringHost

NJ to NYC in ms?????
From our cabinet in NYC to the Choopa:

PING 64.237.32.30 (64.237.32.30) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from 64.237.32.30: icmp_seq=1 ttl=61 time=1.75 ms

64 bytes from 64.237.32.30: icmp_seq=2 ttl=61 time=1.61 ms

64 bytes from 64.237.32.30: icmp_seq=3 ttl=61 time=1.64 ms

64 bytes from 64.237.32.30: icmp_seq=4 ttl=61 time=1.28 ms

64 bytes from 64.237.32.30: icmp_seq=5 ttl=61 time=1.50 ms

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Fiber doesn't mind, but I agree, NJ has a certain smell to it ;)
It's probably all the vomit/liquor/lube from the 'shore. :p

@Francisco

Why are you guys ignoring the popular 128MB VMs?
We aren't ignoring it, but for now we're not commiting more resources to it. If we upgraded every 128MB node we'd likely break even over a years profits just because of the drive price. That isn't to say we won't in the future, but right this second? Or focus is on our bigger plans.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Figured i'd give everyone a heads up.

We've decided to change the SSD allocations on our 1G & 2G OpenVZ plans (possibly KVM's too, we'll see ;)).

Users will get a 1:1 match off their base plan, eg:

-----------------------------------

| PLAN | SATA SPACE | SSD SPACE |

| 256MB | 30GB | 15GB |

| 512MB | 50GB | 25GB |

| 1024MB | 60GB | 60GB |

| 2048MB | 70GB | 70GB |

This means that almost all of our 1GB & 2GB plans will be moved to SSD storage automatically.

Francisco

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I wish this would happen sooner rather than later. I hate seeing deals on here/LE* for providers in Choopa (who definitely has IPv6) who are colocating with CC (who, of course, do not have IPv6)
Contracts are tricky things.  And while we'll pull an ace from our sleeve if things ever got nasty, we're hoping that the mutual unsatisfaction between CC and us will be sufficient for them to simply end the contract early when we're ready to move.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
As Jon said it's unlikely they'll roll IPV6 out any time soon in any of their POP locations (ATL/DFW/LA/NJ/SJC). Their primary locations (BUF/CHI) will probably get it sometime this year.

Jon promised me it would be online this year but given how annoyed he is with me he's likely taken it off his priority list :p

I wouldn't mind doing a pull in early spring (Feb) pending how much snow there is.

Francisco

eva2000

awesome.. Fran maybe use CODE tags for tables

Code:
| PLAN | SATA SPACE | SSD SPACE |
| 256MB | 30GB | 15GB |
| 512MB | 50GB | 25GB |
| 1024MB | 60GB | 60GB |
| 2048MB | 70GB | 70GB |

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
IPv6? What's that?

GTFO, CC and IPv6?  They'll need a router or something.  Oh wait that million dollar gear needs proper firmware... Yeah that's what it is.

Where's @Monkberger when you need a straight answer on why CC doesn't have, hasn't had and likely won't have IPv6?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
IPv6? What's that?

GTFO, CC and IPv6?  They'll need a router or something.  Oh wait that million dollar gear needs proper firmware... Yeah that's what it is.

Where's @Monkberger when you need a straight answer on why CC doesn't have, hasn't had and likely won't have IPv6?
They just need something that speaks BGP4+. I'm not sure what kind of routing equipment they use in their pods but I'm guessing it's something that they take a default route with.

I know my old brocade 2024C did BGP+ but it was only 24 ports so it wasn't a great top-of-rack switch if you needed 10gig ports.

Francisco

vanarp

We aren't ignoring it, but for now we're not commiting more resources to it. If we upgraded every 128MB node we'd likely break even over a years profits just because of the drive price. That isn't to say we won't in the future, but right this second? Or focus is on our bigger plans.

Francisco
May be you could UP their regular disk allocation just to give them some good feeling too ;-)

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
May be you could UP their regular disk allocation just to give them some good feeling too ;-)
I wouldn't be complaining about a free upgrade to SSD with the equivalent space ;)

@ Fran -- Would your standard prices for new clients be going up? Seeing as your getting into the SSD world would this affect your current pricing?

amuck-landowner