amuck-landowner

BuyVM - Leaving Buffalo Early

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Some of you may have heard already, but BuyVM will be leaving the ColoCrossing rackspace in Buffalo, NY no later than 06 December, 2013.  Before I go any further into detail:

Why are you posting this here before notifying your clients?  - Because we haven't finalized our plans on when we'll move the gear, nor have we set up a contract with a new DC.  While more than likely it'll still be Choopa in Jersey, this isn't set in stone yet.  Once we have an exact itinerary, and can provide dates and location, we'll do an official announcement via our mailing system.

Now, on to the juicy bits.  Earlier today, Francisco received a phone call from Jon Biloh.  Jon, attempting to keep things "friendly", told Francisco about the eviction and advised we be gone by 06Dec.  Upon requesting a reason, Jon responded with "it's best we part ways while things are still good between us" (not exact words).  When Fran reminded Jon that winter driving in New York would be rather nasty, the response was essentially "that's too bad".

Well, we expected the real reason to be listed in the "official letter" (http://cboas.ru/img/eviction.pdf) Biloh told us he would send.  Much to our surprise (not really), it was just more BS.  BUT!  We now have a documented eviction notice about 'amicably end[ing] our business relationship' - so you can expect that to be brought up every time they try to make up a new reason for kicking us out.

Then things get interesting when EGI posts this gem, specifically:

Such a person must have had access to the EGI customer database and while evidence is still being collected, we strongly believe that the person who took those pictures is an ex-employee who recently left the company and is currently (and also in the past) working for BuyVM.

But also, don't forget they also posted this:

Biometric scan, an access card, and a combination code are required to access the building, the elevators, the datacenter floor, and the cabinet. Footage is still being examined with datacenter security at this time and no security breach has yet been found.

So, EGI has just stated that 1) there is no evidence, and 2) they suspect Matt.  What they're NOT going to tell you, is they don't have an entire floor to themselves, and quite a few companies (and many more people) have access to that building.  In fact, when Fran first went they had pointed out Biloh's rack to Fran, and told him who it was.  They also can't claim that "only EGI employees had access", since ImageShack has (maybe had by now, it's been awhile) a cage in the same room our racks were in.  So you already have at least two different groups with access to where Biloh's "rack" is - there's no telling how many more are in there as well.

So, why would they go out of their way to point the blame at Matt?

For starters - it's well known that Matt is "one of us".  Hell, the guy was a groomsman at my wedding.  And EGI gave poor Matt serious hell just for being friends with us - even going so far as to threaten him to stay away from us.  (And no, we didn't hear that from Matt, but it's a pretty safe assumption considering we were given the same ultimatum to "not associate with EGI employees").  Maybe it had something to do with that *snerk* "VPS" venture they did.

Something else interesting I mentioned in the other thread - if you search past threads regarding us and EGI, you'll notice a LOT of well-deserved anger from our side, but nary a peep from them.  In short, what made them suddenly find the testicular fortitude to not only make a SERIOUS accusation against Matt, but name us specifically?  Well.. the enemy of your enemy is your friend, right?

So, EGI growing a pair and Biloh issuing an eviction notice in the same day?  I hope they wash those sheets afterwards - both companies have enough collective dirt between them to turn any amount of silk to plywood.  But what I'm getting the biggest kick out of...

THIS HELPS US.  For months we've been trying to convince Biloh to let us out of our contract, so we can move our gear to a legitimate provider.  And each time, our requests were denied.  "You signed a contract, you have to stay".  Sure, it inconveniences us a little that we have to plan for an extra move now - but in the long run, we get to provide MUCH better service to our clients.  And we maintain a presence on the east coast that's not tainted by ColoCrossing - 100% bonus, since I receive emails constantly from East Coast and Euro prospective clients that like us, but want nothing to do with CC :p

So tl;dr - we get to leave CC early, and I'll be making an official announcement via our mailing system (and a follow-up post here as a courtesy) once the particulars are hammered out.

EDIT:  Grammatical Corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Can I come to Buffalo and be a physical laborer helping you move servers from their cage to another place in the same DC?

This is for the best. The less middlemen in picture the better. I think CC just has a cage at Choopa, yeah? Should be a simple move if you remain at Choopa. Just cart your shit elsewhere in the same facility.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Buffalo does not equal Choopa.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
Awesome blessing for you guys. You guys will do awesome in a better location. Let me know if you guys need anything. Always willing to help you guys out in anyway we can. :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
To add another point:

Matt worked with us up until the move from SJC. When we were in SJC we floated around EGI's office since we had nothing better to do than sit on our asses and saw multiple white boards documenting EdgeVM and their hopeful solus build.

When Karen saw this as well the vote was cast that Matt couldn't work with us due to a major conflict of interest.

He might take part in the Buffalo move, we're not sure. Him & Aldryic are both duking it out to see who gets to go :p

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Can I come to Buffalo and be a physical laborer helping you move servers from their cage to another place in the same DC?

This is for the best. The less middlemen in picture the better. I think CC just has a cage at Choopa, yeah? Should be a simple move if you remain at Choopa. Just cart your shit elsewhere in the same facility.
Oh boy!

Imagine that, two datacenters for photographing in one day.

The ponies are going to have to wear blinders and bags over their heads...   :popcorn:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony

Awesome blessing for you guys. You guys will do awesome in a better location. Let me know if you guys need anything. Always willing to help you guys out in anyway we can. :)
Hey, if it doesn't cost or inconvenience you guys to come say hello, by all means :3  The workload is minor - Fran and I will bang that out inside of an hour or two.  But I'd love to get to meet you guys :p  (Assuming it ends up me and not Matt going with Fran, that is.  We don't know who it'll be yet :p)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If you tag along to Choopa, you might get to peek CC there too ;)  Require the car trip across whole of NY.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
I think @jarland and myself are still down for a trip to Vegas. Just going to be a bit harder to plan now that his wife is expecting. Either way meeting you guys would be awesome. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
If someone wants to fly an Asian out then... you know... We can finally have that drinking competition ;)

jarland

The ocean is digital
I think @jarland and myself are still down for a trip to Vegas. Just going to be a bit harder to plan now that his wife is expecting. Either way meeting you guys would be awesome.
And now I gotta build up vacation time at the gator, but I still plan on this happening! Having fun though, working hard to restore people's faith in a product that I really believe in.

To buyvm, so glad they gave you this early Christmas present. Only good things ahead for you guys.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
And now I gotta build up vacation time at the gator, but I still plan on this happening! Having fun though, working hard to restore people's faith in a product that I really believe in.

To buyvm, so glad they gave you this early Christmas present. Only good things ahead for you guys.
Vacation time, you and me both brother :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'll be nearby since I supposedly live in the greater Buffalo area.  Lunch maybe on me?

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
Can we all just roll in as one giant entourage?

I think with the general opinion of our "rivalry" with CC that might look something a bit like this. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSQg1i_q2g

Edited: I fail at embeds

amuck-landowner