amuck-landowner

How do you track your own VPS collection

bizzard

I keep a page in our dokuwiki to list all the vps, the locations, IP(s) and payment details. Along with that, monitors ping and SSH using uptimerobot and all other needed ports using statuscake.

Last edited by a moderator:

vanarp

I have been playing with Google Apps Script a lot lately; I'll see what I can do to get my stuff cleaned up, more usable, and available for the public's use as a template/Chrome Store app.

That would be awesome!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
My personal VPSes are all on my internal Observium script.  

Well, by "all" I mean all that I know of.  I guarantee you there are several out there that I still pay for that I don't know where they are.

I'm at 3 dedicated servers and about 21 VPSes... Excluding the ones I get from Catalyst, although before I joined Catalyst I had three VPSes with... well... us.   

Last edited by a moderator:

jcaleb

i track using my /etc/hosts file

when i buy a new one, i put an alias there. when i cancel, i remove.

walesmd

I keep a /.ssh/config and /etc/hosts too, but no backups anywhere else? Nowhere detailing how to rebuild a certain box, what software / versions? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night...

jcaleb

I keep a /.ssh/config and /etc/hosts too, but no backups anywhere else? Nowhere detailing how to rebuild a certain box, what software / versions? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night...
I store .ssh/config and hosts to a git repo =) Email of VPS Welcome message is also a backup for me. Im so lazy

vanarp

Okay, this is how I do it using a Google drive spreadsheet. I know they are bare minimum details to keep a track... I really want to know if you do it any better than this.

PDvFHAb.png

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
@vanarp: I actually do have an unfinished one lying around somewhere here.  Then I switched to just using a monitoring script for it.  

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Scaleextreme, although it's a bit rubbish. I hardly ever login, it is useful for notifying you when the load hits a certain limit and uptime monitoring. Generally I use Excel but it's also a bit rubbish.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I keep the interesting parts in Keepass.

thats how I keep track of them and the invoices that keeps getting emailed to me.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I'm working on a project that will integrate VPS tracking (hostnames, providers, billing info, IPs, etc.) with DNS (add A and AAAA records autocompleted from stored VPS info). When it's done, tracking VMs will be trivial.

vanarp

I'm working on a project that will integrate VPS tracking (hostnames, providers, billing info, IPs, etc.) with DNS (add A and AAAA records autocompleted from stored VPS info). When it's done, tracking VMs will be trivial.
Do you plan to release it as open source? Any ETA?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
The domain tracking/DNS portion is finished. Server tracking is just getting started. Domain part (with full DNS system) took a month, I expect the server portion, which is more just listing, will take two weeks, then another week integrating the two. After that I'll release as open source donationware under the "Do WTF you want" license.

stim

A combination of Multi-Tabbed Putty (MTPutty), Kitty, Keypass with keyagent.

MTPutty has a tree view where you can organise servers into folders. Server nicknames appear in the tabs.
You can also send commands/scripts to all open terminals simultaneously.

And the whole thing can be made portable.

amuck-landowner