amuck-landowner

Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Would be nice is censorship was turned down a little.
In what regards? Nothing that I am aware of has been removed.

If you're talking about the GVH threads, I'm talking to Martin about these. We don't want this place to be abused like LET where every day there is new GVH threads that turns into back-door promoting and the common circle-jerking that follows.

personally would not have locked those threads. Martin did, not me. So I'll talk to him and find common ground.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
We don't want this place to be abused like LET where every day there is new [spammy provider] threads that turns into back-door promoting and the common circle-jerking that follows.
WHT uses *** to deal with problems like this and SlickDeals uses [see my member title or ask Fabozzi :p]

...or you could just require that individuals acting as representatives of "Verified Providers" be old enough to legally sign a contract.

Either one would cut the back door promoting down quickly.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
WHT uses *** to deal with problems like this and SlickDeals uses [see my member title or ask Fabozzi :p]

...or you could just require that individuals acting as representatives of "Verified Providers" be old enough to legally sign a contract.

Either one would cut the back door promoting down quickly.
In one hand, we want to be be free and open for discussion. In the other, we want to protect our user base from making the mistake of signing  up with notoriously bad providers. Trying to find the balance is difficult.

We'll put on the thinking caps and figure something out.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
In one hand, we want to be be free and open for discussion. In the other, we want to protect our user base from making the mistake of signing  up with notoriously bad providers. Trying to find the balance is difficult.

We'll put on the thinking caps and figure something out.
Does IPB allow for 'static' pages? (no commentary/threads/etc).  Perhaps a page-per-provider approach, where a volunteer can keep an eye on threads like the recent silliness - after the thread runs its course and folks have had plenty of time for input on the original topic, "hide" the thread in a non-anon-viewable subforum dedicated for archiving, and said volunteer can update the provider's page with a quick tl;dr of the thread, the incident that caused it, and how the provider worked things out?

kcaj

In what regards? Nothing that I am aware of has been removed.

If you're talking about the GVH threads, I'm talking to Martin about these. We don't want this place to be abused like LET where every day there is new GVH threads that turns into back-door promoting and the common circle-jerking that follows.

personally would not have locked those threads. Martin did, not me. So I'll talk to him and find common ground.
I am talking about the GVH threads. I agree that too many threads will ruin the forum experience but there needs to be some middle ground for people to be able to discuss the host without censorship.

sundaymouse

Pardon my ignorance, but care to elaborate? 
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=vpsboard.com

Chrome: The connection is encrypted using RC4_128, with SHA1 for message authentication and ECDHE_RSA as the key exchange mechanism.

Even though there are stronger ciphers available, Chrome still picks up RC4 to use with TLS1.2. As explained here, RC4 is old and considered insecure now. The number of clients actually need to use RC4 only is very minimal these days, so you could consider change the virtual host SSL config to drop RC4.

I know this is kind of security freak... But I just put this forward for the same reason people want in-house served advertisements.

HostXNow

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but what about thread preview by showing snippet of the information like vBulletin does? When short of time I use it to quickly check whether I'm interested in a thread or not.

GreenHostBox

Verified Provider
The ability to edit our threads forever especially in the Shared/Reseller Offers section. I don't know why editing posts are restricted but it disallows us to get the word out of new promotions, services, etc. Also if we make mistakes in our thread or want to fix up some words, we don't need to bug the moderators every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenHostBox

Verified Provider
I also suggest moving the General Talk section under the Virtual Private Servers category to somewhere else as it seems like that section talks about topics other than VPS. It doesn't feel right.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I don't know why editing posts are restricted
There were a couple of people that had the habit of starting trouble, debasing others in arguements.. and if proved wrong or insubstantial, they would start going back and editing their prior posts.  It's a minor thing.. but imagine if you had to re-read a thread every time it got a new post, just to be sure you caught any changes/etc.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The ability to edit our threads forever especially in the Shared/Reseller Offers section.
That would be an open invitation to scammers sitting in their basements to change the terms and specs of their advertised offer after they have suckered a bunch of idiots into buying (similar to what happens when a certain underage child host posts unsustainable offers on LET and then rewrites his TOS after the fact so he can kick out anyone who actually tries to use what they have purchased).

The offers section is the one section of the board where editing time should be limited and any edits after xx minutes should require a moderator's approval.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I tend to agree that restricting editing time is wise, however I would like to see the timeframe increased. It has happened occasionally that I wake up after a late-night post and see a spelling mistake.

Perhaps revision history on posts - but that's probably an overkill.

splitice

Verified Provider
Can we get a plugin for @Username mentions (with email notifications sent) like on Vanilla? Posts other than the latest can be quoted, but that only helps some of the time (mentions for out of thread users etc)

splitice

Verified Provider
Err *facepalm*, yes it does. How about some CSS colouring on the mention - I never get mentioned so assumed it wasnt even linked (no style difference).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
That is something I can look into. What would you suggest? Alternatively, perhaps bolding the user name or something similar?

amuck-landowner