amuck-landowner

Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Any chance of enabling users to delete their own posts? It seems like this should be possible, and it's somewhat annoying to me seeing "delete" posts since it can't be done any other way right now.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Any chance of enabling users to delete their own posts? It seems like this should be possible, and it's somewhat annoying to me seeing "delete" posts since it can't be done any other way right now.

I personally don't see reasons why this should be allowed.  If deleting or removing of content is required then just flag it is what I'd request.  I feel like if individual members could delete their own posts then conversations would have constant holes and just missing content here and there.  

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I don't think so. I would delete posts because they are erroneous, no longer relevant, or posted mistakenly. I suspect others would too. These are just a few legitimate reasons why post deletion should be allowed.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well, again I'll just state report it and request content removal.  If you wrote it and you request the content to be removed then I guarantee you all of the staff are willing to comply.  Personally I have never refused a request for a person to remove their own content.  

Supicioso

This will probably be my first and only suggestion.

Remove post count, or at least the display of post count. It serves no useful purpose outside of staff/moderation. 

It promotes spam posting since post count is generally seen as a goal or "mine is longer then yours".

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
You mean this?

9fy.png

I have to disagree - when I see a new member (like you), I look at their post count over time to see how much they're willing to invest in the community. If they don't make many posts, then I assume they don't intend to contribute much, and I'm not as inclined to help them out.

Also, I would personally advise you not to change your username too much - too confusing.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Well, again I'll just state report it and request content removal. If you wrote it and you request the content to be removed then I guarantee you all of the staff are willing to comply. Personally I have never refused a request for a person to remove their own content.
This.

I do agree, it's a mod job to delete posts. Not a user job. If you feel something is wrong eith you origibal post, edit it and rempve content. Then report it.

Even if I feel that a post should never be deleted unless its spam or double post.

Or breaking any rule.

Supicioso

You mean this?

9fy.png

I have to disagree - when I see a new member (like you), I look at their post count over time to see how much they're willing to invest in the community. If they don't make many posts, then I assume they don't intend to contribute much, and I'm not as inclined to help them out.

Also, I would personally advise you not to change your username too much - too confusing.
Post count has nothing to do with investing in a community. It's quality, not 1000+ posts that make a good contributor.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
I'm for the Know your Provider forum... I'd be willing to post a lot of information of my company... Just not too much that would give people ways to mess with us, but stuff like upper management team, owners, registered business or not and stuff like that... Even a write up on who we are... Not a lot of providers want to post that because who they are may be kids or summer hosts. We're not a summer host and we're a registered business in Louisiana. So, I don't see why a lot of providers wouldn't want to show their status to the community. I'm for the "Premium" subscriptions as well, just don't make it too pricey and it might be a good idea to allow "teams" with one team type payment. Like, me and Brian and Brad will be here eventually...

Either way, I think the forum is awesome as it is.. I like the donation option.

I like the auction type stuff as well. I'd provide some VPS accounts to vpsBoard to help out.

I tried to send a message to you MannDude on Skype about this as i'd like to be the first provider to do so.

I also think a good thing to do would be to not focus so much on the larger providers but try and help the smaller, struggling ones. LEB could of done it, but they chose to stick to others.

Make a forum dedicated to offers that are submitted that the moderators review and rate. Have a team of like 3 people review a offer, then post their results. Not sure how well that would work out, but it could keep some of the Summer Hosts out of the mix. I think people here trust the community leaders so I think it would be a good idea... Don't get too much like LEB though...

Make a poll of the ones you'd like the most and let users rate them. I think that would be the best way. Just take like lets say the top 5 features and let everyone rate them and then add the top 3. :)

Might be a good idea... Sorry about the rambling :) the TV got my attention but my fingers didn't stop... lol

Supicioso

Woah, Louisiana? Small world. I'm in the same state.

I think the forum should stay neutral in that aspect. Doing things that way will get to be a little biased further down the line. 

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
What is the quota of positive votes for a day? I keep hitting it, kind of annoying. Would be awesome if it could be based off of post count and/or how many thanks the user has received. Kinda like the StackExchange sites.

GVH-Jon

Banned
Introduce Premium/VIP Membership and have a Premium/VIP section :)

I'd be more than happy to sponsor this place.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Why not corporate membership and charge 1200/year for it? That should cover up all the cost plus would pay curtis a decent wage so he can invest more time running the community? Oh wait, we are doing this for the flashing badge and nothing else.

Introduce Premium/VIP Membership and have a Premium/VIP section :)

I'd be more than happy to sponsor this place.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Does anyone actually pay that ridiculous corporate membership fee on WHT? Oh wait... never mind, one is born every minute...

*Psst: Imagine how you could grow that money over 30 years if you would put it in a retirement fund/plan every year :lol:

GVH-Jon

Banned
Why not corporate membership and charge 1200/year for it? That should cover up all the cost plus would pay curtis a decent wage so he can invest more time running the community? Oh wait, we are doing this for the flashing badge and nothing else.
Or maybe I just want to do it out of the very kindness of my heart..?

H4G

Verified Provider
A prominent link to the Rules page, could not find it on the home page.

and please do not add a premium members section :p not another $50 per year. :(

amuck-landowner