amuck-landowner

Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What is the quota of positive votes for a day? I keep hitting it, kind of annoying. Would be awesome if it could be based off of post count and/or how many thanks the user has received. Kinda like the StackExchange sites.
The quota is now 25, I believe. Was set to 10. Not sure how to do it based off post count, I kind of like the reputation system as it is. If you say things people agree with, they 'Thank' you. You could post a ton of nonsense on the other system and get a positive reputation despite posting crap.

A prominent link to the Rules page, could not find it on the home page.

and please do not add a premium members section :p not another $50 per year. :(
Will modify that soon. Also, no Premium Members section will be added. I never planned on implementing that. ;)

acd

Could Verified Providers get a variable length list of links under their Verified tag that has the name of the provider they verified as in it, preferably as a short name that is a clickable link? That would obviate this thread with relatively low maintenance effort.

TheLinuxBug

Just an FYI, I am not sure if others are seeing this, but the Notifications plugin seems to be having some issues.  I will click to see notifications, it will show a refresh symbol and then disappear without showing the notifications. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Just an FYI, I am not sure if others are seeing this, but the Notifications plugin seems to be having some issues.  I will click to see notifications, it will show a refresh symbol and then disappear without showing the notifications. 

Yikes.  I'll send this further up the chain.

Thanks for letting us know TheLinuxBug!  

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
It would be great if the private message limit could be raised (or lifted?). I mean really, why is there a limit at all?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It would be great if the private message limit could be raised (or lifted?). I mean really, why is there a limit at all?
It's the weirdest thing. There is a setting to override that, which I did a long time ago as I quickly hit 50 PMs. Are you actually getting an error? I thought it was overridden for everyone after I adjusted that, but there is/was no setting that I could find to 'increase' the limit. Just an option to override it. Then again the backend is cluttered and not super ideal.

vanarp

@Mods, I seriously feel the need for having Google Custom Search (CSE) to be incorporated into this site as the default search is quite lacking. Especially with some posts in Archived condition, the current forum search is almost useless.

@D. Strout, Would you like to write a monkey script for the time being?

mojeda

It's the weirdest thing. There is a setting to override that, which I did a long time ago as I quickly hit 50 PMs. Are you actually getting an error? I thought it was overridden for everyone after I adjusted that, but there is/was no setting that I could find to 'increase' the limit. Just an option to override it. Then again the backend is cluttered and not super ideal.
It's a per group setting IIRC.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
No, I haven't gotten errors, but that's because every so often to prevent hitting the limit (which as you say still shows in my messenger page) I aggressively delete PMs. If I'd known the limit wasn't actually there, I wouldn't have deleted some of that stuff. Oh well. We'll see as PMs continue to flow in if the limit takes effect or not.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
No, I haven't gotten errors, but that's because every so often to prevent hitting the limit (which as you say still shows in my messenger page) I aggressively delete PMs. If I'd known the limit wasn't actually there, I wouldn't have deleted some of that stuff. Oh well. We'll see as PMs continue to flow in if the limit takes effect or not.
This is seriously the Private Message settings in the backend:

j711cYc.pngIt's been that way for a few weeks. I'll contact IPB and find out why the PM settings are so wonky.

mojeda

This is seriously the Private Message settings in the backend:

j711cYc.pngIt's been that way for a few weeks. I'll contact IPB and find out why the PM settings are so wonky.
Go to Members -> Member Groups -> Manage and click the group that you want to change (Members)

Then go to the global tab and then go down to:

3tLSG.png

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Go to Members -> Member Groups -> Manage and click the group that you want to change (Members)

Then go to the global tab and then go down to:

3tLSG.png
You're the man! This is now fixed.

Most threads that were archived should be UNarchived now. Still manually going through and doing this.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
If there are still threads archived please PM me. I think I got most of them.

So now what, better search function? I'll look into it.

Let me know what else ;)

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
I'd still like to see some of the features we spoke about. The Know Your Provider forum would be a good start. Didn't you have Phill from SolusVM onboard for that? Guessing it is gonna have to wait till after the audit. I'd also like to see the ads finalized. That's all I can remember :) but yea...

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Search feature has been updated. You can now use Google (now default) or the old method (select from dropdown).

I'd still like to see some of the features we spoke about. The Know Your Provider forum would be a good start. Didn't you have Phill from SolusVM onboard for that? Guessing it is gonna have to wait till after the audit. I'd also like to see the ads finalized. That's all I can remember :) but yea...
Yeah, he said he'd be willing to do one but is likely busy. I'd still like to interview him, though I may move on to someone else as I've been unable to get ahold of him. About the ads, I don't know yet. Trying to get other stuff on the forum fixed before adding anything new.

amuck-landowner