amuck-landowner

Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Bold, or even just a darker colour. 

A quick play with dev tools shows that bold looks acceptable.

18_51_41_This_is_your_community._How_can_we_make_it_better_for_you_Page_18_Announcem.png

Last edited by a moderator:

comXyz

I have a suggestion: each member will have a "board" - because we're vpsboard - it's like facebook wall; other members can post public messages there.

I think it should be great feature :wub:

Ishaq

Verified Provider
Why is the recent threads section on the right gone? I'd prefer it over recent comments.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Why is the recent threads section on the right gone? I'd prefer it over recent comments.
It wasn't a good indicator of current activity on the forum and I replaced it in favor of promoting the vpsBoard Library.

I re-introduced it for a moment above the latest VPS offers but then switched it to recent comments instead to highlight the currently active threads. It just seemed like a feature that didn't need to be on the home page when the ability to add more relevant information became available to me (through the use of IP.Content and custom block creation). You can still view new threads here: https://vpsboard.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

I'm waiting it out and seeing how it goes, but I've heard a few people want it back. For things like that I would suggest creating a poll to see what the community thinks. No other forum that I know of highlights the recent threads in the sidebar so it was sort of a unique feature in that sense but I don't think it is entirely necessary. Just my $0.02

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Cam we please have back the recent topics in the sidebar? Its a great way to catch up in the morning and ensure that nothing is missed.

VPSB feels so quiet without it :(

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

clownjugglar

Anyway to stop this or go back to recent topics instead of comments? This isn't very useful IMHO.

https://i.imgur.com/7uNFnxr.png

This has become common place with recent comments typically having 3 or more of the same thing listed.

Granted I'm mostly a lurker, but seeing new topics is more interesting than 5 recent comments, especially when they are all from the same topic. Or maybe both? Plenty of room for another field.  :)  B)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Any chance we can get the fine folks at Flexible Gaming to do an ad revisions?  It's probably contributing to ad blocking / dislike.  

This ad:

ec2de90d-e12d-4f0e-a836-532cfa3df50c.gif

curl -I https://keepsthelightson.vpsboard.com/media/resources/ec2de90d-e12d-4f0e-a836-532cfa3df50c.gif

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: nginx

Content-Type: image/gif

Content-Length: 2424120

Last-Modified: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:25:50 GMT

Connection: keep-alive

Accept-Ranges: bytes

When that ad loads for me in Chromium two cores each get slapped for 15% of CPU each.  Plus it's a big data payload for a lot of folks to download as well (especially those on billable bandwidth or on crap like I am).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I just merged two similar topics into one: "Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard" and "This is your community, how can we make it better for you?"

Update time:

The "View New Forum Content" is BACK where it was previously. I'll leave it alone. Sorry for all the back and forth. Modifying stuff to get it to work properly is a PITA and it doesn't even work properly fully in the 2013 theme but it's as close as it's going to get without me picking up smoking again or tossing my PC off a cliff. (It works, just doesn't follow the same properties as the navbar but it's close enough but I did fix the 'bounce' issue..)

Sidebar recent threads: Not coming back. Sorry. No other forum that I am aware of demonstrates this and I'd rather use the sidebar to display more relevant information that is happening now such as recent comments and to promote the vpsBoard Library which is going to start being filled with more content soon. You can click the 'View New Content' link to see new threads, takes all but a second. It's a minor change and I'm confident that you'll get used to it. :)

@drmike : You're not the first to mention that and I'll talk to Phil to see about reducing the size. There is no size limit for advertisements and I'll look into enacting one. I believe there is a static version of that banner available that previously ran so I will speak with him.

Have I missed anything?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Any chance we can get the fine folks at Flexible Gaming to do an ad revisions?  It's probably contributing to ad blocking / dislike.  

This ad:

ec2de90d-e12d-4f0e-a836-532cfa3df50c.gif

curl -I https://keepsthelightson.vpsboard.com/media/resources/ec2de90d-e12d-4f0e-a836-532cfa3df50c.gif

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: nginx

Content-Type: image/gif

Content-Length: 2424120

Last-Modified: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:25:50 GMT

Connection: keep-alive

Accept-Ranges: bytes

When that ad loads for me in Chromium two cores each get slapped for 15% of CPU each.  Plus it's a big data payload for a lot of folks to download as well (especially those on billable bandwidth or on crap like I am).
I contacted Phil and am updating it with this:

Original 2.31M ad:

90bFZyW.gif

I compressed it / reduced quality somewhat and created:

Updated 1.5M ad:

Q17uYHK.gif

With his permission I've replaced the one running with the updated one.

amuck-landowner