amuck-landowner

Incero Review - AVOID

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I know you're moderator/admin/whatever but I don't see why it should bother you since you've got nothing to do with any of this. I was actually emailing back and forth to Jon Biloh yesterday and was extremely close to buying a server. But, I'm trying to run things more efficiently, and this includes cancelling the BetterVPS brand for now, and this allowed me to ditch a WHMCS license, a Dedicated IP, an entire Dedicated Server, and lots of Rackspace Email. Estimating savings around $400/month which is good.

We attempt to make sure the thread is on topic, and there have been several reports all from different individuals stating that this thread should remain on topic.  Instead of splitting it up we decided it was best to pop in and request everyone please stay on topic  :) .  

While yes this is your thread, please understand that we are just trying to make sure this thread doesn't get derailed and to follow the rules.  The rules are in place for a reason you know.   ;)   If anyone has any issues with the rules you're more than welcome to open up a thread and ask the community what revisions or changes the rules should go through!  I mean after all, this community is yours.  

But again, please remain on topic!  This CC talk doesn't have much to do with the Incero review!  :) 

shovenose

Verified Provider
We attempt to make sure the thread is on topic, and there have been several reports all from different individuals stating that this thread should remain on topic.  Instead of splitting it up we decided it was best to pop in and request everyone please stay on topic  :) .  

While yes this is your thread, please understand that we are just trying to make sure this thread doesn't get derailed and to follow the rules.  The rules are in place for a reason you know.   ;)   If anyone has any issues with the rules you're more than welcome to open up a thread and ask the community what revisions or changes the rules should go through!  I mean after all, this community is yours.  

But again, please remain on topic!  This CC talk doesn't have much to do with the Incero review!   :)
I understand that :) After all I'm the first one to be bothered when my thread is derailed.

I do think ColoCrossing has some relevance since they are my only other option in this price range.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I do think ColoCrossing has some relevance since they are my only other option in this price range.

Well, I think there are more options than Incero and Colocrossing even at the low price point.

I scratch my head when folks think these are the only options.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The biggest thing about another provider offer these days is not seeing such on the same ding-a-ling everyone else has as their networks.

If I were jumping into this industry, I'd be looking in markets that aren't already saturated with every Tom, Dick and Harry offering the same services at the same price points.

I'd stay out of the already abused markets of Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Buffalo and Atlanta.  Yes there are others like Kansas City that are iffy and maybe on the same list.

Sure, people will say those are major hubs and blah blah.   There are tons of lesser tier cities with great networks because they are on transit path and are big places (just not known in this industry where everyone seems to wear blinders).

New York City metro, yeah, underdeveloped on offers.  That metro goes into Pennsylvania and into New England with little latency increase.

VIrginia / DC metro --- few offers there at best and it's excellent networks / connectivity / peering.

Middle of the USA has tons of cities and interest from major companies, but the offers in this sector, blah, not very many.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkylarM

Verified Provider
The biggest thing about another provider offer these days is not seeing such on the same ding-a-ling everyone else is there networks.

If I were jumping into this industry, I'd be looking in markets that aren't already saturated with every Tom, Dick and Harry offering the same services at the same price points.

I'd stay out of the already abused markets of Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Buffalo and Atlanta.  Yes there are others like Kansas City that are iffy and maybe on the same list.

Sure, people will say those are major hubs and blah blah.   There are tons of lesser tier cities with great networks because they are on transit path and are big places (just not known in this industry where everyone seems to wear blinders).

New York City metro, yeah, underdeveloped on offers.  That metro goes into Pennsylvania and into New England with little latency increase.

VIrginia / DC metro --- few offers there at best and it's excellent networks / connectivity / peering.

Middle of the USA has tons of cities and interest from major companies, but the offers in this sector, blah, not very many.
Where would YOU like to see an offer, and we'll look into it.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Boston would be awesome. Mostly 'cause it's right near me :)

In regards to the Incero thing, I think it's perfectly legitimate to dump someone who you feel will be a "problem customer" going forward. Save yourself the headache when there are lots of other people who will be reasonable, thankful customers behind the one that could cause issues.

Not to brag, but I feel I'm a pretty reasonable customer, always trying to keep in mind what makes sense not just for me, but for the provider. And I think partly because of that, I can't say I've ever had a really bad experience with any provider.

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
Boston would be awesome. Mostly 'cause it's right near me :)

In regards to the Incero thing, I think it's perfectly legitimate to dump someone who you feel will be a "problem customer" going forward. Save yourself the headache when there are lots of other people who will be reasonable, thankful customers behind the one that could cause issues.

Not to brag, but I feel I'm a pretty reasonable customer, always trying to keep in mind what makes sense not just for me, but for the provider. And I think partly because of that, I can't say I've ever had a really bad experience with any provider.
Boston connectivity is likely going to be backhaul from NYC/DC and at best likely Cogent/Abovenet stuff.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Well I was impressed seeing another provider with Columbus, Ohio, recently. Capitol city of Ohio.  State capitols have bandwidth  probably always.

New York city metro certainly, consider.  That includes Philadelphia and nearly all of New England for consideration.

Metro DC.

Western Virginia

Omaha, Nebraska.  

The Dakotas.

Heck, anything "rural" and well outside of major zones of human activity.

Iceland.

Switzerland.

Kentucky or Tennessee.

Any off-site, inside a mountain, inside a mine, inside a buried silo location.

Last edited by a moderator:

wdq

Quade
Omaha, Nebraska.  

The Dakotas.
I'm familiar with a few of datacenters in these areas.

CoSentry is a pretty big company that has datacenters in Omaha as well as some cities in Kansas, South Dakota, and Missouri. 

Binary.net is a much smaller company, but they have a datacenter in Lincoln, Nebraska which is a little ways south of Omaha. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Springfield, MO has a datacenter inside an old mine of sorts. Their prices suck bad though.
Yeah, well that operation is a local utility that does everything in Springfield, right?  Telephone, electric, water, natural gas, and the public bus transportation.... right?

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Yeah, well that operation is a local utility that does everything in Springfield, right?  Telephone, electric, water, natural gas, and the public bus transportation.... right?
They are part of Public Utilities iirc. Don't honestly remember I haven't looked at them in a while.

Alec

http://www.springnetunderground.net/

Not sure why you would want to go there though?

It's all going to be homed off MCI (Kansas City).  If I recall there may be some ring protection to STL.

Might as well just go to some place like http://caverntechnologies.com/ where you will have less latency than going down to Springfield.

In either instance you are in the $30 - $45/Mbps price range.

Most people are in the major markets because not only is it less expensive to operate but they have more connectivity options, and better interconnects, etc.

amuck-landowner