amuck-landowner

IPv4 Shortage, Blame Idiots like ColoCrossing.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Next time you bitch and moan about IP limits from datacenters or complain about the cost increase for IPs, just think of my friends in Buffalo.

Sometime in the past year I started paying attention to HE's BGP site.  On there is IPs Originated (v4). Back then CC was at oh a bit over 100,000 IPs Originated.

As of today, ColoCrossings IP count stands at a whopping: 422,912.

In the past 5 days I've seen this number increase now three times.

There's no way CC is pushing this kind of IP use legitimately and at  80% consumption threshold for more issuance.

You have big ranges just piled up with ns1 and ns2 nameserver filler crap.  Example: http://bgp.he.net/net/198.46.160.0/19#_dns

Damian

Verified Provider
Some of that number might be from announcing other people's IP blocks. For example, our new IP blocks are listed under their ASN. 

But that only comprises 2048 addresses. So yeah.

fizzyjoe908

Verified Provider
Yes - if you view Prefixes v4 tab they announce IP blocks for other companies. That being said, the majority is for them directly.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I think that idiot Windows users who are still using XP with IE8 should also share a large part of the blame.  SNI would have a much larger adoption rate if it wasn't for them.

Idiot ISPs (especially in the US), datacenters (ColoCrossing, Incero, etc), and providers who have a million excuses why they haven't rolled out IPv6 yet also share a large part of the blame.

As of today, ColoCrossings IP count stands at a whopping: 422,912.

They're still tiny compared to someone like Ubiquity who has 1.86 million.

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
I think that idiot Windows users who are still using XP with IE8 should also share a large part of the blame.  SNI would have a much larger adoption rate if it wasn't for them.
Actually, that's something to look forward to. As IPv4 availability dwindles and Windows XP is phased out, we might see some of the big shared hosting players dumping large quantities of IPs that they just don't need anymore.

Damian

Verified Provider
Actually, that's something to look forward to. As IPv4 availability dwindles and Windows XP is phased out, we might see some of the big shared hosting players dumping large quantities of IPs that they just don't need anymore.
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, I only ask to learn: what's Windows XP have to do with it?

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, I only ask to learn: what's Windows XP have to do with it?
Windows XP still accounts for (conservatively) 25% of consumer machines and does not support SNI[1] (Server Name Indication) which in a nutshell allows you to do vhosting for SSL (solves the chicken/egg problem of sending the certificate/receiving the 'host' header).

Edit: DomainBop beat me to it :(

Last edited by a moderator:

InertiaNetworks-John

Inertia Networks, LLC
Verified Provider
I recently visited a local business and I noticed that they were running XP on a few of the older machines. When speaking to their IT Supervisor, he said that they hope to get rid of XP completely by 2014.

I wish everyone did.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Am I the only one who prefers Windows XP (sp3) if I've got to use Windows? Seriously, it's the only Windows OS I like, and is the last one I am familiar with the most.

My main gripe with IPv4 are these bullshit providers, like SSDVPS, who offer 5 IPv4's with a $7/mo 1GB RAM package. It's clear they're just trying to utilize their current allocation so they can justify it. Lots of providers acting shady like this.

Amitz

Am I the only one who prefers Windows XP (sp3) if I've got to use Windows? Seriously, it's the only Windows OS I like, and is the last one I am familiar with the most.
i am with you. However, using XP today is really a bad idea. But it would also be the WinOS of my choice if I had to use Windows again for a certain task.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
You know, drmike, for someone who hates ColoCrossing so much, you're always bitching about them...

I normally don't reply to stupid things like this, but is your life that lame that you have to constantly complain about ColoCrossing? I mean no disrespect, but it's getting old... Everyday you or some other person has a thread about ColoCrossing... I'm not sure why you hate them so much, nor do I care, but someday, you need to grow up and move on...

Some people may think it is envy, but others may see it your way... Just move on... Sheesh... Just on this one thread I see 4 others opened within a month from you, it is like a ritual with you and it's pretty much worn out its welcome.

Just my 2 cents... Maybe it's time to grow up and move on...

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
You know, drmike, for someone who hates ColoCrossing so much, you're always bitching about them...

I normally don't reply to stupid things like this, but is your life that lame that you have to constantly complain about ColoCrossing? I mean no disrespect, but it's getting old... Everyday you or some other person has a thread about ColoCrossing... I'm not sure why you hate them so much, nor do I care, but someday, you need to grow up and move on...

Some people may think it is envy, but others may see it your way... Just move on... Sheesh... Just on this one thread I see 4 others opened within a month from you, it is like a ritual with you and it's pretty much worn out its welcome.

Just my 2 cents... Maybe it's time to grow up and move on...
To be fair, and as I told you on Skype when you asked me to delete his threads... This is the first one in a while for him. He has cut back significantly.

I've not seen one in a while.

It's not hard to understand why someone would be interested in keeping tabs on a company that has had proven shady practices. I don't encourage or discourage such activity, but as the reader you choose what you wish to read. There are threads on here that I've not looked at even once because the title was not relevant to my interests. I suggest you and everyone else practice the same level of self-control.

Last edited by a moderator:

InertiaNetworks-John

Inertia Networks, LLC
Verified Provider
My main gripe with IPv4 are these bullshit providers, like SSDVPS, who offer 5 IPv4's with a $7/mo 1GB RAM package. It's clear they're just trying to utilize their current allocation so they can justify it. Lots of providers acting shady like this.
I agree with this as well. I have been noticing offers lately on other forums saying things like ~20 IP's for $1, or something crazy like that.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
To be fair, and as I told you on Skype when you asked me to delete his threads... This is the first one in a while for him. He has cut back significantly.

I've not seen one in a while.

It's not hard to understand why someone would be interested in keeping tabs on a company that has had proven shady practices. I don't encourage or discourage such activity, but as the reader you choose what you wish to read. There are threads on here that I've not looked at even once because the title was not relevant to my interests. I suggest you and everyone else practice the same level of self-control.
Hey, it was a joke on Skype, I didn't mean to really delete them. I have control over what I read and it isn't really that big of a deal. But it does seem to get old when these conspiracy theory posts pop up blaming ColoCrossing for IPv4 shortage. That post was meant to stir the pot. I completely agree with the fact that people like to keep tabs on a company, but what does it bother anyone what they do? They do what they do, let them do it and you do what you do... I just don't understand why this is still a topic... People get butt hurt because of something that ColoCrossing does when it doesn't even affect you... If you're mad about the 422k IP addresses that they have allocated to them so what? Why does it affect you? Why make a post about it? Sheesh...

amuck-landowner