amuck-landowner

Looking to Colo

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I was wondering if anyone has extra space in their racks for colo. I'm looking to pay less than $60/month for 1u with 100mbit and 3TB transfer and 5 ip addresses. 

Thanks ahead of time.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Datashack in Kansas City has 1U colo for $45/month.  10TB and I think they'll bump to gigabit connect if you ask, at least use to.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Not Wholesale - They aren't bad, but the customer service when needed is not the best. Although for the prices I'm looking for I shouldn't expect much. :)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
GoRACK had some cheap single server colocation specials a week or 2 ago on WHT.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
GoRack isn't per se cheap, but ala carte sort of.  I like that approach though :)

Dacentec in North Carolina has a low price for colo:

1U Colo $30.00/month
1U 
1 Amp / 120V
2TB Bandwidth on Gigabit Port
1 IPv4 adress
Remote Reboot
Automated OS Installs
Bandwidth Graph
Free IP KVM loan on request 
Free basic hands and eyes including reboots and hot-swap drive changes.
Free racking and installation.
NO LOCK IN - Month-to-Month Contract - Cancel anytime
BUY NOW

Extras:
IPv4 IP (w/ justification) - $1/IP
115V Power - $10/amp
208V Power - $20/amp
Redundant power 115V - $20/month
Extra U of space - $25/month
BUY NOW

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I would kill for $10/amp. :(
$10/A isn't too bad :)  Perhaps low these days actually.  Let's see:

1A = 120 watts

120 watts x 720 hours in a month = 86400

86400 / 1000 (1000 watts in 1KwH) = 86.4 KwH

So 87 KwH per Amp @ 120v power.

$10 / 87 KwH = 0.1149

or 11.49 cents per KwH

Long informal number is electric has corresponding cooling load and other electric uses --- 

11.49  / 2 (to halve it) = 5.74 cents per KwH

EIA shows average end customer for Industrial use in North Carolina at 6.11 cents per KwH (March 2013).

Ummm, what else, usually facilities don't allow you to use 100% of the power right?   Buy one 120V Amp and they want not 120 watt constant draw but more like 100 watts, right?

Dacentec also runs a "green" datacenter, so imagine that means cooling costs are the major reduction in use.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Houston, Texas:

Oplink.net 1u Colocation $39.95/month, 100M Port Unmetered

1U Colocation Device/Server
1AMP 120V Power
Dedicated 100M Port Unmetered
PRICE: $39.95/month 

ORDER NOW

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah, that is hefty on the power side.  Good price if you have low power demands though.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Why not rent a server? You can find some nice dedicated servers for under $50 that includes power, IPs, and 100Mbps unmetered.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why not rent a server?
OP can say why not, but I often colo gear and have in the past because of specific gear I can't get from a facility.  Use to be stacks of SSDs :)   Still not affordable to get them in a server.    I like to own my gear, so one time cost to acquire and have things right is golden.

Do I colo what I've cobbled or do I get a $200+ server rental?  Cause you know the SSDs tack on monthly pretty good.  Colo usually wins out.  Plus I keep my gear out and deployed until failures become too costly then we just bring it back in house and repair it and use it elsewhere (usually internally). 

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I would like to own my hardware. Specifically I would like to install a server with tons of hard drive space.

amuck-landowner