PayPal Questions Legality of Encrypted Email

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by DomainBop, Jul 1, 2014.

1. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    statement: https://protonmail.ch/blog/paypal-freezes-protonmail-campaign-funds/

news article: http://rt.com/news/169588-paypal-freeze-payments-protonmail/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  2. raindog308

raindog308 vpsBoard Premium Member Moderator

May 16, 2013
    I suspect the real reason is that they don't want to be hassled with all of the government search warrants that will accompany providing financial services to that organization.

May even be the result of government regulation, e.g. "as a bank, there are special rules that say you're not allowed to deny service to a customer just because you choose to, but if you want make up a good reason then you can".  But I'm guessing.

3. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    What the hell is wrong with PayPal?.... Crypto is legal and better always be.

This was crowd funding... not people paying for such a service.... I wonder if the chip in donations have been deducted from accounts of folks and PayPal is sitting on them?

Long term if this alterna-crypto-mail service sees the light of day, first task at hand is to NOT accept traditional banking  payments and PayPal.  Alterna currencies, cash, gift cards, etc.

4. drmike

May 13, 2013
    and it looks like PayPal is caving under public pressure:

5. drmike

May 13, 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGQCMIhFmR8

6. Cloudrck

Cloudrck Member Verified Provider

Jun 18, 2013
    Is he also unsure about encrypting web traffic? What about database information?

7. AuroraZero

AuroraZero Active Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I was thinking about setting something like up just the other day. Not in the U.S. of course but was not completely sure of hassle I would be in for with the regulations if U.S. citizens and companies used the service. Also being a U.S. citizen myself I am not sure what regs would be put on me as a person or business. In other words not sure if it would be worth the hassle or not right now.

8. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    If the email service is run by an American person/company it's subject to U.S. laws even if the hosting is done outside the U.S. tl;dr the US government could make your life a living hell if you try to resist their requests

9. AuroraZero

AuroraZero Active Member

Dec 18, 2013
    That is exactly as I figured it and one reason why I am probably not going to be doing do this as a business. The potential fall out not just for me but for my family would the worst part. I could take the heat, as I am the one doing the business, but my family should be left out of it. I know they would not be though when I did not bough down to them.

10. serverian

serverian Well-Known Member Verified Provider

May 16, 2013
    Am I having a stroke of they just integrated PGP with JS on a web mail interface and earned $270K?

11. perennate

perennate New Member Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    It was some Paypal representative who doesn't know much, who cares. The issue here is Paypal froze ProtonMail's funds without warning, not that one of their employees said some stupid things.

12. Hxxx

Hxxx Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Crypto is legal as long as the government has the method to decrypt it. As always.