restarting: nocostvps freevps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Please. Stop now.

Come up with proper, legitimate offers or take up kite flying or sana-cord bungee jumping.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
as the paid one is done by another provider so we don't have good control over what they offer.

we just have full control over the free vps.
Well you should still appreciate the issues it will cause, the first thing people noticed was the difference in disk space, people won't pay you for less of any of the 3 main resources.

jarland

The ocean is digital
After reading where this is going, here's my take.

1. You're dumb. Acknowledge this truth and seek someone with more wisdom to craft a solution to this problem. I'm not insulting you, I'm being nice enough to say in plain speak what everyone else is dancing around.

2. Refer to number one.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Preferably a website of some kind. Perhaps write content and then design around it. Visit your website under the assumption that you're a new visitor with absolutely no clue what a VPS is or what your website is for. A website is a presentation.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Back to my original point.

A client is sending out a DOS attack. The process doesn't seem obvious from the top command. Using only command line utilities, how do you determine who the culprit is and how do you suspend their vps?

Last edited by a moderator:

jarland

The ocean is digital
While you're googling the answer, he stepped it up and you just lost your SSH session. Now the node isn't responding to your attempts to access it. You just received 24 support ticket requests, two mentions on twitter about an outage, and a post on LET asking if you're deadpooled. Your response?

jarland

The ocean is digital
Now 123systems is experiencing a typical outage. You just received 8 support tickets about a node you can't control. As usual, they don't respond to support tickets. You just got 2 paypal chargebacks. Your free node is still as good as down. Your datacenter is about to terminate your service.

This has been a realistic role playing scenario in the life of a bad vps provider. You ready for this?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
What @jarland's saying is what happens to many people.  If you don't act fast and already have your own plans in place for each event then you'll lose business and more than likely this will be another failed project.  

Seriously don't pull a curtisg, don't just buy a node, put OpenVZ/just virtualization in general on it and then go as you go.  

RiotSecurity

Now 123systems is experiencing a typical outage. You just received 8 support tickets about a node you can't control. As usual, they don't respond to support tickets. You just got 2 paypal chargebacks. Your free node is still as good as down. Your datacenter is about to terminate your service.

This has been a realistic role playing scenario in the life of a bad vps provider. You ready for this?
Otherwise known as summer host.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
How about you try
host_sim.png

Instead?

Last edited by a moderator:

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
95.128.47.39 is not announced by OVH.  It seems to be some dodgy UK provider I've never heard of.

Other than that, Free VPS schemes rarely work out, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner