amuck-landowner

Stallion 2 - pictures and daily updates :)

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Did I read that right? Fireworks all over the US for the release party?
Yeah. Definitely  for the Stallion 2 release :p Can't wait though. Gotta say I like what I'm seeing in the panel arena. Stallion 2, Tortoise Labs' panel, Feathur a.k.a. BlueCP. All great panels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I wanted Aldryic on hand incase there's any problems with his import scripts or WHMCS ;) He knows WHMCS better than anyone at the company.

Besides, i'd love to ring in the good times with everyone around, not just Anthony & I.

Francisco

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
Very awesome!!! Can't wait to see all the pieces finally coming together. Tis be a grand celebration 4th of July. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Can't wait for the release!

Will you be putting in into production on the 4th for the existing BuyVM customers?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Can't wait for the release!

Will you be putting in into production on the 4th for the existing BuyVM customers?
Yus :)

That's why there'll be an outage on the panel. I'll have Anthony on tickets to handle any reboots/etc that users need while it's down.

Francisco

ShardHost

Verified Provider
Any promos to coincide?  Will be picking up a VPS to check out the panel, just wondering if to pick one up now or wait until the 4th ;)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Any promos to coincide?  Will be picking up a VPS to check out the panel, just wondering if to pick one up now or wait until the 4th ;)
None on the menu yet :) The guys are generally against promo's.

But, maybe I can swing something.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Now you've put me in the same position I was before!  Maybe I should buy one now and another if you run a promo. :)
Any promo we do (be it more resources, etc) would be retroactive :) We have some changes we want to make in mind but we need to complete some hardware changes first.

Francisco

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Aaaaand, mass email is currently underway. We'll kick things off at 1800h PST, bring both WHMCS and Stallion1 down into maintenance mode while the deployment is underway.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Aaaaand, mass email is currently underway. We'll kick things off at 1800h PST, bring both WHMCS and Stallion1 down into maintenance mode while the deployment is underway.
I haven't received anything yet, almost half an hour later. Should I have?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I haven't received anything yet, almost half an hour later. Should I have?
I've got a timed queue going - almost 13000 active accounts, still have about 4 hours remaining before all the emails are sent >_>

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I've got a timed queue going - almost 13000 active accounts, still have about 4 hours remaining before all the emails are sent >_>
I thought it might be something like that. Never will understand how - what, four of you? - handle the support requests from 13,000 accounts while also managing servers and still releasing new stock. Also, is the Stallion upgrade responsible for the 0 stock right now?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Never will understand how - what, four of you? - handle the support requests from 13,000 accounts while also managing servers and still releasing new stock.
We drink. A _LOT_ :p

Two of us actually.. Anthony (bzImage) and I handle tickets/support/orders. Fran does some support in IRC, and the vast majority of the coding/development/PR. Anthony and I work opposite shifts (I cover from ~6am till 10 or 11pm, he covers from ~noon till 4 or 5am), and we both have various alarms set to wake us up should anything need immediate attention. Anthony pretty much solos node maintenance/etc, and anything under billing/abuse/policy comes to my desk.

Stock is pulled for the moment due to Filtering, actually. We had a bit of a rush of orders with Filtered IPs lately, and it burned through what was left of that second /24 we added. I have an open ticket with CNS now to see about getting a /22 assigned - as soon as that's taken care of we'll be restocking again. I just didn't want people to have to wait or need refunds/etc due to no Filtered IPs being available. In the meantime, if someone's needing a plan without filtering (or with.. but we only have a handful of IPs left) they can just throw me a ticket and I'll square 'em away.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I mentioned this to Fran elsewhere, but it'd be nice to see a password blacklist that would not allow clients to utilize easy passwords to bruteforce.

Things like: root, password, passw0rd, password123, server, etc should not be allowed.

You could even go a bit further to ensure clients use secure passwords by setting up something that would disallow the hostname of their VPS to be a password, or combinations that may be easy to guess like first initial + last name, etc.

And if that annoys the customers, there should be an option to just generate a strong password.

I can see it now:

Fuck, cant use 'password'. WTF?! It won't let me use 'r00t'... Hmm... 'server1'. WHAT?? UHG! I'll use the generate password feature... 'fcOFW7*a1VDDdZ#E1Qg1ZeCbxfZiio1j' what the fuck is this?!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I'll add that to a point release after roll :)

I don't like enforcing the 'strong password' thing since they're hard to remember. Passing special characters to vzctl can be annoying as well so we've enforced the following policy:

Root passwords must be a minimum of 8 characters and only contain alphanumeric, dash, & underscore characters. Please login to your virtual server if you wish to use special characters.
Francisco

amuck-landowner