amuck-landowner

Stallion 2 - pictures and daily updates :)

acd

If you start tracking bandwidth usage by account, that's going to start looking really weird and make accounting a bit odd. There was some weirdness on one of my VMs at LV last month that I wouldn't have noticed excepting that it was on a nearly unused kvm. Tracking only aggregate account bandwidth would have hidden that from me. Second, anyone who is managing VMs for other users most likely doesn't want to be co-opted into a single, per-account pool, running the risk that a single user could result in a freeze of every VM across their account. Granted, this scenario would require bad/no traffic accounting configuration on their part or a single-VM exploit, but it's possible (and as probable as an insecure Wordpress plugin) and it's something which would worry me in that position.

I'm not in a position to say for sure, but I'm pretty confident your traffic accounting could be modified with relative ease to support floating IPs/moving them from instance-to-instance at the same site, though you may want a dedicated router for this kind of IP to keep the main one from getting an aneurysm *cough*. The easiest way to do this that comes to mind is NAT + track bw by an internal IP; not the CG-bind-everyone-to-one-ip NAT, but the intelligent loadbalancer/failover kind of NAT.

Aldryic will probably curse me for suggesting this, but if you did want to move to pooled bandwidth, may I suggest instead that you initially provision one pool per VM, and thereafter allow free merging and splitting of the pool; not necessarily by quantity, but by VM (this limits the amount of tomfoolery going on). Let me illustrate what I mean in narrative:

Story Time With TW said:
Mr. Admin The Third, hereafter Matt, purchases an annual ovz128 with 500GB/mo of transfer for his pony trading service, of which he uses 600GB (having to add an extra 1TB/mo) before, a week later, he decides 128MB is just too small for his application (not to mention he's quickly using all of his bandwidth). Matt decides to purchase a kvm512 with 2TB/mo of transfer which comes in a separate pool dedicated to that VM. Given the option, he decides to merge the two pools this month, for a total of 3.5TB/mo, of which he has already used 600GB.

Pony trading is wildly popular and he ends up using 3TB of aggregate bandwidth that month, before Matt decides spin off the ovz128 for a pet project, finding the kvm512 up to the task of running his flesh trade site. When splitting the ovz128 out of the pool, it takes its portion of the pool with it, 500GB/mo plus its portion of the addon bandwidth. Since there is only 500GB left and the ovz128 contributed 20% of the base pool, when it is removed, it takes 20% of the remaining bandwidth with it (100GB). The kvm512 keeps the other 400GB remaining. That's ok though, since tomorrow is the 1st and bandwidth resets for both.

Since the bandwidth is an addon to the pool, it sticks with the kvm512 since the ovz128 was split off. Matt eventually cancels the ovz128, receiving an account credit for the remainder of the 15 USD he paid for the VM. The addon bandwidth stuck with the kvm512 and is not refunded or cancelled.
If that is unclear, it's because I've had too much caffeine for 3:30am.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I think pooled bandwidth is just too touchy of a subject to work on right now.

We have a grocery list of features to be completed way before merged bandwidth :p To be honest, the merging is entirely on us just trying to give clients more options. It isn't a requested feature nor something that 'has' to be there.

I think the only feature some users would really like is being able to buy one-off bandwidth addons for a VM so they don't 'have' to buy a monthly addon if they only get heavy once in a blue moon.

Who knows. We have a ton of other things to get done before we start dreaming in the clouds.

Francisco

acd

For the record, I am not asking for pooled bandwidth. I am asking for a way to avoid it personally.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Ok then. I'll wait for any further development on this.

Congrats!
I'm not going to just hold a hat draw for who we'd license to. The licensing would include the source and given how quickly some brands are to sell, I wouldn't want my hard work suddenly getting included in the sale of any brand.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Sir, just so you know, I am addicted to ponies. I love unicorn, I eat corn for breakfast and my bed looks like a stallion.
Bahahahaha.

On another note, Aldryic has forwarded me the WHMCS module so i'll be integrating that on Monday/Tuesday. It shouldn't take me more than a few hours.

Francisco

bzImage

Fran stopped playing swtor with me so he could have an affair with stallion 2. I am filing for a divorce.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Bahahahaha.

On another note, Aldryic has forwarded me the WHMCS module so i'll be integrating that on Monday/Tuesday. It shouldn't take me more than a few hours.

Francisco
I will take my pants off and willing to share my bed with you.

Fran stopped playing swtor with me so he could have an affair with stallion 2. I am filing for a divorce.
Over my dead body!

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I've updated this but here goes.

Our WHMCS module & API is almost 90 - 95% complete with only a few last hooks needed. We fully expect to have 10 - 15 VM's available this weekend though WHMCS that will have a coupon to make them free. The VM's will provision to stallion 2 where you'll be expected to give things a full run through.

The node side will be running 2.6.32 and I'll import all of our current media into the system.

No promises but I'll see about letting people that actually help test (and find bugs) can keep their VM's for free (for at least a year or something).

Francisco

johnlth93

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I've updated this but here goes.

Our WHMCS module & API is almost 90 - 95% complete with only a few last hooks needed. We fully expect to have 10 - 15 VM's available this weekend though WHMCS that will have a coupon to make them free. The VM's will provision to stallion 2 where you'll be expected to give things a full run through.

The node side will be running 2.6.32 and I'll import all of our current media into the system.

No promises but I'll see about letting people that actually help test (and find bugs) can keep their VM's for free (for at least a year or something).

Francisco
Came here for free VM  ^_^

just kidding ~ good job on Stallion 2 though  :)

amuck-landowner