amuck-landowner

The truth about ColoCrossing

clarity

Na that's just Martin being an idiot.
I would like to think that the change was made because of you being an idiot and posting stuff that you should not. There is an entire thread here that makes no sense to newcomers because you made a post and removed it. 

Anyone who doesn't like the new settings should send a personal message to Jack. Ask him why he likes to post things and then delete them when he realizes he shouldn't have.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I would like to think that the change was made because of you being an idiot and posting stuff that you should not. There is an entire thread here that makes no sense to newcomers because you made a post and removed it. 

Anyone who doesn't like the new settings should send a personal message to Jack. Ask him why he likes to post things and then delete them when he realizes he shouldn't have.
Glad to see the whole reasoning behind that change has been understood by at least 1 member.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The solution to the 5 minute rule is to have a content system that keeps all prior edits.

I'd imagine IPB likely has a plugin to keep prior versions of a message.

It's just good sensible version control to keep priors.

Jack

Well Manndude asked me on skype to post it so I thought I would.

Jack

Well we don't actually know if Colocrossing is lying or Robby is do we that is another reason i thought I would remove it.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Well we don't actually know if Colocrossing is lying or Robby is do we that is another reason i thought I would remove it.
With this being the internet and all, it's usually best to use your head and think before making a post. Once it's on the internet, it never goes away. And now as a result I can't make quick edits to my posts and have to report it for derps when I can't figure out how to type properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

With this being the internet and all, it's usually best to use your head and think before making a post. Once it's on the internet, it never goes away. And now as a result I can't make quick edits to my posts and have to report it for derps when I can't figure out how to type properly.
OK.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
WHT uses a 15 minute timer so that's what I'd recommend.

It gives enough time to catch any minor spelling errors/grammar but doesn't allow for someone to come back a day later and start changing replies.

The 'EDITED' tags are a nice touch to help keep everyone honest.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I don't think Jack's post should have caused such a stir over the edit function.

Do what I do @Jack, let it fly.  Let it stick.  

If later determined that the info was wrong then say so. It happens.

It's funny that general trauma inflicted at the first mention or inference of the term "legal action" (yeah, I am talking about Colocrossing).   Funny, since I can't recall a single big lawsuit or action actually taken by anyone in or from the Lowend...  

Look for the post to go up on LET... "Looking for a Lowend lawyer..."  Must like working for < $7 an hour (ignoring the minimum wage laws) filing frivolous lawsuits against competitors and naysayers"

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well, after all the content was removed from his posts and he edited the title to, ".", I hid the thread from public view. Wasn't until after speaking to Martin we decided we'd just re-open it, as the conversation was good, even if the original content was now gone.

Of course, I've got screenshots of the original content, but I feel posting them wouldn't be right. Most of us saw what Jack posted, his conversation between Robby and himself, and the claim Robby made in regards to 'what happened to EOR?' which we've all wondered.

About the post edits: We need to figure out a better system. Some content on this site legitimately needs edited after posting, hours, days, weeks later. wlanboy has a great thread featuring <$20/YR providers, and he edits the original post in that thread to list new providers every few days - every week or so as needed to add to the list. A provider who posts an offer often makes mistakes in their original posting, needs to go back and change or re-word something. Perhaps they forgot the network test IPs or mispelled something. So there ARE a lot of legitimate needs for editing a post after it's made. As of right now, myself (and I'm sure Martin and Don too) are editing posts upon request via PMs and the report system. A PITA really, but it is what it is.

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
Aside from ColoCrossing admitting to owning LEB/LET. I'm unaware of the other issues with ColoCrossing aside from their name coming up regularly. Came to this thread for information, was disappointed OP decided to back down.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
There are other CC issues.   Some providers will speak in private at least, about IP allocation issues and random closing of their tickets.

I know of other "network" related issues and their inability to manage customers network related matters (think BGP).  But I don't want anyone having more info and harassing more customers.  These are customers who might not have the visibility and maybe be more easily harmed.

Don't even get me started about employee issues at CC.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Honestly, I see no reason to limit editing.  The only 'abuse' of that has been Jack, and that was only to quickly try and recover from the reputation hit after folks pointed out just how unethical he was acting.  I see no reason to hamstring everyone else for something he's already taken his licks for.  Call it a lesson learned, and let's move on.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Honestly, I see no reason to limit editing.  The only 'abuse' of that has been Jack, and that was only to quickly try and recover from the reputation hit after folks pointed out just how unethical he was acting.  I see no reason to hamstring everyone else for something he's already taken his licks for.  Call it a lesson learned, and let's move on.
I agree. I'll talk to Martin about it. I did disable it but it looks like it got re-enabled. The edit function is typically disabled in most places after X amount of hours, which I don't mind, but the Xminutes is too short of a window for most.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Perhaps allow Verified Providers to edit their posts in certain subforums (offers, etc.) with no time limit, and make it a 24h period for edits otherwise?

amuck-landowner