amuck-landowner

UGVPS = Thomas Dale = Crystal Dale = ChicagoVPS = Dig the Mine

httpzoom

Verified Provider
@AuroraZero in addition to what you've said it is about duping customers and exploiting rules of websites/forums to further their agenda. With all these problems happening I asked the other day on LET if it would be ok for me to register 13 reseller businesses of HTTP Zoom which would allow me to post one ad a day. It seems other companies have been doing this and getting away with it.

Although HTTP Zoom wouldn't do this as it dilutes the brand, it would seem the Low End World has become an exploiting ground for a few well known people to churn cash from customers who really are victims. 

Virtovo

Verified Provider
@AuroraZero in addition to what you've said it is about duping customers and exploiting rules of websites/forums to further their agenda. With all these problems happening I asked the other day on LET if it would be ok for me to register 13 reseller businesses of HTTP Zoom which would allow me to post one ad a day. It seems other companies have been doing this and getting away with it.

Although HTTP Zoom wouldn't do this as it dilutes the brand, it would seem the Low End World has become an exploiting ground for a few well known people to churn cash from customers who really are victims. 

What was their response?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"it would seem the Low End World has become an exploiting ground for a few well known people to churn cash from customers who really are victims"
That's kind of the punchline to the entire story of why ColoCrossing snaked/stole/abducted/corrupted the lowend sites.

Anyone count the recent Christmas 9 offer run? Of those offers... how many were unaffiliated with CC? That is do not have brand, servers, deals, etc. with CC? Think I counted a solid SIX that are CC affiliated.

Not be a mathematician, but statistically, CC isn't big enough to say it alone is over 50% of the whole affordable VPS market. But some reason it keeps ending up in these big offer percentages over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

httpzoom

Verified Provider
We did consider going with them for New York based servers, however just before we signed on these little stories kept creeping up and to be honest even if it costs us customers / income we'd rather not be involved in a racket.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The customers who are victims include both VPS end users who wind up paying for crappy service (or pay annually only to see their provider deadpool), and some gullible inexperienced providers who fall for the "leave your day job behind and get rich quick by renting our servers and following our foolproof low end marketing method" sales spiel, only to find out the hard away that there is no easy money.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
We did consider going with them for New York based servers, however just before we signed on these little stories kept creeping up and to be honest even if it costs us customers / income we'd rather not be involved in a racket.
Just to reaffirm your choice... You realize there are multiple provider who run adds specifically stating they are not with ColoCrossing. Also, some CC providers state humorously, in their ads, "Yes, CC!".

I know several providers who have left CC and their businesses have been better in their new locations. CC isn't bad, but the network, especially in Buffalo has been laughable at times. The routes continue to be not so great as they are basically a backhauled location to either NYC or CHI, and both are too far to be playing that game. Then you have the soiled IP space, questionable network neighbors, etc.

CC isn't horrible. I'd be a customer if they were oh $35 for 1U colo. They close deals on long term leases/rentals and that's something I'd NEVER touch. I do RTOs or pure owned colo only.

Because of the no margin lease/rentals they do it attracts idealistic folks about 30 days from self destruction, in mass. If I didn't know better I'd think that's their VPS customer acquisition scheme.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
@domainbop, is that actually advertised?

I don't know if it's actually advertised but most offers out of CC data centers seem to follow the same formula and use the same marketing points even when it's a provider that CC doesn't have a "financial relationship" with or share an office with.

httpzoom

Verified Provider
@domainbop, i'd just be a little careful not going overboard. I understand DC's generally make people feel they can have a pop up business, however I've never seen CC going out their and exploiting inexperienced users into starting a budget VPS provider.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ahh someone joked on UGVPS first week in business about CC having a BUSINESS IN A BOX FRANCHISE. You see how that turned out with UGVPS being involved in identity theft and midnight wire transfers out of PayPal... and who the joker in that night was...

Something is surely different with a bunch of "companies" dangling off CC's network. Folks are a tad too friendly with each other and relationships don't strike me as professional. But what the hell do I know? I pay my invoices and send Christmas cards and sometimes when in town take a vendor out for a meal or send pizzas over to their office. Perhaps the younger folks are into game reality that becomes make it and bake it VPS biz. Seems to be a good bit of that formula.

httpzoom

Verified Provider
I've always found any "Business In A Box" means, business done to death and the only way of making money is selling to people who want to get into a market too late!

MisterC

DomainBop, I owe you a beer for these:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7476574&postcount=8

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7594679&postcount=6

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1066365

WHT doesn't take these things lightly. Combined with the fact Fabozzi has mentioned he works in the SAME office as Jon, it's a clear case of shilling indeed. Maybe Jon will join Fabozzi in a WHT banning? Afterall, Fabozzi was banned for shilling, too.

Seems like the only place Fabozzi isn't banned is vpsBoard and LET, and of course SlickDeals where him and UGVPS get most their sales.
Ok, just recognized this username from SD, but I would just like to say that I do believe Chris is banned on SDeals, his CVPS_Kevin account is banned on there. He was banned for what I believe was trying to get certain users who post frequent VPS or webhosting deals and in the CVPS thread to post VPS deals for his "clients" 

Basically he (Chris), was contacting specific users on SDeals and telling them to email him for an opportunity to post some threads for some of his "clients" advertising their products for several hundred dollars once a month since he could not do it himself. 

It seems that someone did take up his offer as there have been a few "structured" (typed out posts by Chris) CCrossing related postings on SDeals, all by the same person. 

Summary:

Chris banned on SDeals for soliciting users to post offers for him. Still tries to get threads up on SDeals. Pretty sure SDeals generated huge sales for CVPS (deleted thread with 50 pages over 1000 purchases).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Welcome @MisterC.

It's like we are having a CC/CVPS/Lowendsh!t reunion suddenly.

Going to need more soap to clean all their dirty laundry.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
post-1072-0-49039600-1388568247.png

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
in the "registrant" section. In most cases, GoDaddy.com, LLC
is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

digthemine.com

This domain name has been suspended due to invalid Whois information.

If you are the registrant of this domain name please contact us at: [email protected].

+1 to ICANN's compliance department. :)

digthemine.png

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Wow, they pulled DigTheMine.com ehh?

What was invalid about their whois info?   Sorry I slacked on that.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The WHOIS for digthemine.com has been updated (new address Lockport, NY...old one was Pittston, PA) and so the domain should be unsuspended soon.

Dig The Mine LLC is registered in Pennsylvania.  The listing of a New York address for the domain registrant could be problematic because New York State law requires that foreign entities (i.e. an LLC registered in another state) that have an office in New York submit an application for authority to do business in New York (application fee is $250).  Dig The Mine LLC doesn't appear to have registered as a foreign LLC in NY state yet.  Foreign LLCs/corporations that have a presence in New York state are also required to apply for a NY sales tax permit and collect sales tax from NY state residents because sales tax is charged on services, including hosting services in NY (NY state taxes almost everything...with the exception of taking a sh*t but I'm sure that tax is in the works).

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
A couple of DigTheMine April 2014 updates:

April week 1: WHT suspended both DigTheMine and UGVPS

April week 2: Thomas Dale announces on LET that DigTheMine will start selling VPS in June/July 2014:

Hello,

I sincerely apologize about what happened to UGVPS. There was a lot learned from that. You should email ChicagoVPS Support for additional assistance on the products and services from UGVPS. Dig The Mine, LLC will be launching VPS services in the near future and we will bring what we've learned from UGVPS to be a high performance VPS Company only using SSD drives. I'm looking to launch this around June/July of 2014. Not sure if this will be ColoCrossing Based or not. I will keep everyone on the forum updated on this though. I will say this, we will not be looking to get the cheapest price out there. Half the issue with UGVPS was we were not making enough money for adequate support after it surpassed what i was able to handle on my own. I want to make sure everyone is going to get the proper support and reliability they are looking for in a hosting company.

Thank you,

Thomas Dale

amuck-landowner