amuck-landowner

BuyVM - Leaving Buffalo Early

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
At least you guys can have NATIVE IPv6 once you get moved :) ColoCrossing is still going to have it Soon.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
How is this going to affect your east coast DDOS protection service?
It won't, for the most part.  The setup is the same as LV - tunnel'd back to our gear from Staminus.  If we go with Choopa, latency between the filtering and our gear would drop to half a millisecond.

rds100

Verified Provider
Guys, i don't have any service with you in Buffalo, but please plan the move right (or at least better) this time!

What do i mean? For instance, book early the new location and send some gear there. A spare router, a switch, maybe some new nodes too. I think you can afford to route some unused /24 or larger there. Even put some people on those new nodes, to be able to test the network , etc. You'd want any quirks worked out before you do the actual moving.

Then buy a box of spare power cables, ethernet cables, maybe also rack rails. Don't let Francisco participate in the actual unracking and moving of the gear. Instead send him to the new location, where he should put rails, run cables, etc. And he should also have internet access during the whole event, you know you'll get DDoSed again during this move.

So when the move really happens, you can just unload the gear at the new location, leave it 30-60 minutes there for the temperature to equalize and then start - unpack, rack, connect, power on. Should be much more efficient with the cabling (and maybe rails) already there.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
All of NY's rails are the clip in so there's no time saved :)

LV's move was harder since there was LACP's and such all in use, where as in NY it's single stuff.

We'll have some testing done as needed. I didn't want to do the move till next year but CC was able to enforce their end of the contract just like we would have done (60 days notice required).

I got 2 pending offers and i'll know more come morning :)

This move is much smaller than LV and doesn't have a network upgrade attached to it. LV's move had a completely new network go in place as well as our first dabs into 10gig switching.

The NY setup is a basic 48 port switch, simple uplinks and really easy supermicro rails that require no screws.

Francisco

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Well I'm glad you're getting out of there. Sadly I don't need a NJ VPS since I already have one via Known Host. :)

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
@Aldryic, I agree with @rds100 - don't let Fran do anything apart from driving and making coffee...!

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Aside form the fact that buffalooed probably needed a change of pants after reading this if you need any out of hours remote assistance, basic ticket support etc during the move so you can actually sleep let me know happy to help.

Ant.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Aside form the fact that buffalooed probably needed a change of pants after reading this if you need any out of hours remote assistance, basic ticket support etc during the move so you can actually sleep let me know happy to help.

Ant.
Thanks boss, that means a lot :)

(our) Anthony will be at home keeping an eye on things as well as us having some 'net access while on the road :) The travel distance is a lot shorter this time.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

I wonder how Mr Biloh will word it when people ask in the future..

"So I heard BuyVM left you due to poor service"

How wants to bet the response is "no we gave them notice to leave due to breaching the contract..."  or something along those lines... 

blergh

Verified Provider
Suddenly everyone wants to be BFF's with BuyVM.

lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner