amuck-landowner

Follow Us - Colo@ Datacenter Facility Construction Progress

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Existing overhead delivery. Additionally raised flooring and trying to use pressure to "push" cold air up, is inefficient. Why fight the natural flow of air?
Totally makes sense. :)

So the overhead and end of row containment is all AC - temperature lowered air.   Cold air drops, so put it up high and let it rain down.  Less mechanical blowers, fans, etc.

Aside from the AC feed, is anything done about heat removal in this design? Or do you overcome that with the AC injection in the aisle purely?

RyanD

Verified Provider
Totally makes sense. :)

So the overhead and end of row containment is all AC - temperature lowered air.   Cold air drops, so put it up high and let it rain down.  Less mechanical blowers, fans, etc.

Aside from the AC feed, is anything done about heat removal in this design? Or do you overcome that with the AC injection in the aisle purely?
The entire room basically becomes a hot aisle.  You can expect to walk into the datacenter and feel the room temperature to be in the 78-82deg range.  

Contrary to popular (mis)belief, the worst thing you can do is try and operate your datacenter like it's a walk in refrigerator.  Mixing and recycling of conditioned air with hot air and cycling back into AC units dramatically drops efficiency, driving up operating costs, and reducing delivery of the cold air to where it's needed. 

This isn't some crazy concept, it's the same principals that all new modern facilities are designed upon, example google, facebook, etc.  Granted we have limitations with budget compared to those guys, but it's the same engineering

BlackoutIsHere

Verified Provider
I wonder how much power you save from all the servers running cooler and not blasting their own fans to keep cool. That looks like a very slick and simple cold aisle containment system!

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
Fans are not really the power hogs of servers the CPU and Standard Drives are.  I used to build powerful gaming computers and had them on killawatts and the fan speed would barely register.

208v gets a good boost in savings as well I believe a few percentage points. But when your power bill is in the millions a few percentage points can be a good bit of savings.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 the room temperature to be in the 78-82deg range.  
Makes sense how this works.  This is in addition to room air conditioning too, correct?  So reduces the HVAC cooling load some, yes.  Certainly more comfortable.  I use to often pack and use fingerless gloves and a fleece hat in some of my datacenter overnight work sessions.  That's when sitting on my hind mainly and not hoisting gear :)

Now to use similar concepts to deal with the mass noise pollution in such an environment :)

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
Makes sense how this works.  This is in addition to room air conditioning too, correct?  So reduces the HVAC cooling load some, yes.  Certainly more comfortable.  I use to often pack and use fingerless gloves and a fleece hat in some of my datacenter overnight work sessions.  That's when sitting on my hind mainly and not hoisting gear :)

Now to use similar concepts to deal with the mass noise pollution in such an environment :)
Our HVAC ones we tried here in Colorado was a 4 story monster basically by itself you could feel the flow of air to the supply side by itself man it made a huge mess in the noise department.  Added a 2nd one before they decided 30 direct drive CRAC's would be better and we went from hearing fans to hearing servers.  One group freaked out thought the AC died lol.

The only disadvantage in the cold isle with top down is if you happen to have to work in the cabinet underneath the air feed.  Bring a jacket!

EricGregory

We're getting in some of our Liebert CRV units.  They're in-row air conditioning systems.  They're really pretty slick.  Check out the following video on 'em if you'd like to know why they're cool (yeah, lame pun).  :D

Anyway, here's one of our new units from shipping to placement within a row.

fXKacBE.jpg

JDqPU6q.jpg

uOEf4De.jpg

pc9d4av.jpg

9aBl2YF.jpg

EricGregory

Ear plugs or noise canceling headphones make quite a difference when working in a DC.  Noise canceling stuff generally works nicely b/c of the constant tone of the chillers & servers.  That constant drone gets kinda rough after a while.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ear plugs or noise canceling headphones make quite a difference when working in a DC.  Noise canceling stuff generally works nicely b/c of the constant tone of the chillers & servers.  That constant drone gets kinda rough after a while.
Sure does.  These days I actually get physically ill from the noise and quickly.  It is nearly identical to motion sickness.

I tend to run everything fanless in my work environments for this reason (non datacenter).

If you are not as severely impacted, the noise still creates fatigue and hearing loss.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider

Or having worked around them so long you're tone deaf to it lol.. or is that my wife..

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
Kudos to the watermarking person for actually putting effort into it.  You would almost think they were really there.  Or are they? lol

ramnet

Verified Provider
Thanks for the pictures guys. Makes me proud to be a long term customer of Colo@

Can't wait to see it for myself when it's all completed.

EricGregory

Kudos to the watermarking person for actually putting effort into it.  You would almost think they were really there.  Or are they? lol
lol...  Thanks :)  I was getting sick of the same old boring watermarks so it was time to change it up a little bit.  Nice to see someone noticed.

We'll post more pics as the project progresses so I'll have even more opportunity to hone my logo-fu skills.

lol...  Thanks :)  I was getting sick of the same old boring watermarks so it was time to change it up a little bit.  Nice to see someone noticed.

We'll post more pics as the project progresses so I'll have even more opportunity to hone my logo-fu skills.
Clearly you just need to put your logo everywhere like in the pictures, it looks rather sweet :D

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel

I noticed that too. Nice work.

EricGregory

We've got another big operation coming tomorrow.  We're adding our second 500kW generator unit.  This involves removing part of the side of the building, a crane, and a bunch of sweat.  Preparations are currently underway to get the building ready to receive the new equipment.

Sjshjid.jpg

amuck-landowner