amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces Europe, Anycast IP's, Floating IP's, & Bandwidth pooling!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Vegas to Luxembourg. Roughly how much does shipping out all this cost
Roughly $1200. We're still waiting on the final price since we billed it to a corporate fedex account and we won't know until it's delivered.

Given the deals I get in the states it was still worth it for us to pay that than build in Europe.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven F

Verified Provider
Roughly $1200. We're still waiting on the final price since we billed it to a corporate fedex account and we won't know until it's delivered.

Given the deals I get in the states it was still worth it for us to pay that than build in Europe.

Francisco
How much gear is that, though?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
How much gear is that, though?
- 1 x router

- 1 x internal node (DHCP, etc)

- 1 x standard KVM

- 3 x SSD based OVZ's

- 2 x 128MB OVZ

- 1 x BuyShared node

- 1 x storage node

It's a good amount, we were able to pack things really tight. We spent a good 6 hours getting it all together and wasting the least amount of room.

Francisco

Steven F

Verified Provider
- 1 x router

- 1 x internal node (DHCP, etc)

- 1 x standard KVM

- 3 x SSD based OVZ's

- 2 x 128MB OVZ

- 1 x BuyShared node

- 1 x storage node

It's a good amount, we were able to pack things really tight. We spent a good 6 hours getting it all together and wasting the least amount of room.

Francisco
$1,200 seems to be pretty reasonable. I'm having 6 servers shipped to my house from Chicago (for dev. purposes) and the shipping is going to be like $200, at least (waiting for the final quote from UPS).

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting

Francisco
That's actually not bad at all, even if you payed US retail prices you would be coming out ahead than if you had someone in the EU build it

I priced out having a 2U built in NL awhile back compared to the cost of building one stateside, and when I totaled up the pricing I thought "damn, if I can keep the shipping under $800 from US to NL it'd be cheaper build here, even with VAT at customs." Hardware is so criminally expensive in Europe, doubly so for disks

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I got money burning a hole in my pocket that will help buy new handles............. :D
Ahaha :) They're just bent a bit, a bit of bending or maybe even a prybar will get them straightened out. Honestly I expected things to be a lot more banged up than some minor smacks on the handles.

Given how some of the domestic shipments I've seen, I expected to hear that the SSD's were littered all over the loading bay of the planes, etc.

They'll be getting our IPMI's online tomorrow so fingers crossed I can get most of the gear prepped by Monday.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Waiting to get one asps
Actually yes :)

Board came in (couldn't get it faster than 4 - 5 days delivery, could've sent it from the States faster). BGP is up, Staminus session is up, all but a couple nodes need installing. I'm just setting up things like the DHCP server, etc. Shared still has to be completed as well as offload SQL but that's pretty quick.

I'll be handing off everything to Aldryic in the morning for testing.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Actually yes :)

Board came in (couldn't get it faster than 4 - 5 days delivery, could've sent it from the States faster). BGP is up, Staminus session is up, all but a couple nodes need installing. I'm just setting up things like the DHCP server, etc. Shared still has to be completed as well as offload SQL but that's pretty quick.

I'll be handing off everything to Aldryic in the morning for testing.

Francisco
I tried to write sexual innuendos involving Aldryic and servers, but I just can't do it. I'm terrible at making sexual innuendos.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
billingisdown.jpg

amuck-landowner