amuck-landowner

BuyVM.NET / BuyShared.NET - Shared - $5/year | Resellers - $2.00/month! Dedicated IPv4! SSD RAID!

rds100

Verified Provider
It's not in the EU, but... how about Russia? You know some individual, who probably has some connections there ;-) Which is probably necessary, to be able to operate anything.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It's not in the EU, but... how about Russia? You know some individual, who probably has some connections there ;-) Which is probably necessary, to be able to operate anything.
"It good SSD, not worry."

"But....it's missing its sides!"

"I said not worry. Now go."

I could see imports being hard and customs being a real pain.

While the whole worlds in a state of shittiness, i'd like to host in countries that are, for the

most part, stable :p

Francisco

rds100

Verified Provider
Mmm, yes, importing there could be a real pain, buying locally would be the best course of action.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Mmm, yes, importing there could be a real pain, buying locally would be the best course of action.
When i'm ready to light up a location i'll likely run a poll via email as well as on here and get some feedback :)

I'm pretty sure I did this back when I wanted feedback on backups, I just have to go through my old google crap.

Francisco

fisle

Scandic location would be good, something like norway/sweden/finland. Not much good offers on those areas :)

kcaj

Romania is what I've liked so far.

Luxembourg also interested me a lot but I couldn't find any decent colo companies over there. root.lu doesn't return emails at all.

Francisco
Does that mean you've looked into colo options in the UK? Be interesting to hear of which you liked the looked of.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Getting back to this thread a tad bit late, sorry about that you two!

Scandic location would be good, something like norway/sweden/finland. Not much good offers on those areas :)
Does that mean you've looked into colo options in the UK? Be interesting to hear of which you liked the looked of.
The problem with hitting Europe is if you go with too exotic of a location, people will be uneasy with it. If you're in too mainstream of a place, people will dislike that as well :D

We've decided that we will spin the shared plans off under BuyShared and already have a designer on retainer.

Here's his initial sketches:

http://www.varcoedesign.com/work/buyshared/

http://www.varcoedesign.com/work/buyshared/plans/

Yes, it's all filler text so don't go cackling about seeing captain #winning in there. With BuyShared it has no public face so we can really go with whatever colour scheme/ideas/etc we want.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Just simple design, nothing out of the box.

Any reason for preferring dark colors; especially black?
To be honest, for BuyShared we told Korey that he had full say in colours/flow.

With it being a 'blank slate' no one was expecting any one colour.

On the other hand, whenever BuyVM gets redone and we don't use the green we currently use?

There would be blood shed in the ranks >_>

Francisco

jarland

The ocean is digital
BuyVM shared is a win all around.

Btw, for my fellow clients, I started getting spam fast and looks like either learning is disabled or sa-learn isn't installed. Here's a trick to cut out some of the excess from what I've monitored thus far.

Filename: /home/username/.spamassassin/user_prefs

Contents:

required_score 5
score RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT 2
score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 5
score DATE_IN_PAST_12_24 1

I gave DATE_IN_PAST_12_24 a very slight increase, barracuda a reasonable increase but not enough to send to the spam folder alone, but spamcop I put up there at "Yeah just don't bother putting it in my inbox."

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
BuyVM shared is a win all around.

Btw, for my fellow clients, I started getting spam fast and looks like either learning is disabled or sa-learn isn't installed. Here's a trick to cut out some of the excess from what I've monitored thus far.

Filename: /home/username/.spamassassin/user_prefs

Contents:

required_score 5
score RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT 2
score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 5
score DATE_IN_PAST_12_24 1
Hey boss :)

Thanks!

I'll check into that.

Francisco

willie

Are the past few months about the cPanel built in email server?  How well does that work?  Are there docs around?  Does it support STARTLS, DKIM, etc.?  I've been wondering about this.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Are the past few months about the cPanel built in email server?  How well does that work?  Are there docs around?  Does it support STARTLS, DKIM, etc.?  I've been wondering about this.
Works fine.

DKIM is supported, no idea what STARTLS does past being encryption related.

Francisco

jarland

The ocean is digital
https://documentation.cpanel.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=360752

Specifically: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/1140Docs/Exim+Security

That implies that STARTTTLS has some role. I'm with Fran though, that's not in my vocabulary.

You wouldn't be able to make changes there, of course. If you feel a feature is beneficial for everyone on a shared server that isn't enabled, open a ticket and make your case, I'm sure the guys would gladly weigh the pros and cons and see if it's a reasonable request.

willie

That implies that STARTTTLS has some role. I'm with Fran though, that's not in my vocabulary.
You know how HTTPS is HTTP under an TLS encryption layer, and HTTPS usually runs on port 443 while HTTP uses port 80?  STARTTLS is the more modern way of optionally encrypting.  You use just one port, i.e. port 25 in the case of SMTP.  You connect insecurely, and then to enable TLS you send a STARTTLS command through the unencrypted connection.  That requests a TLS handshake (just like with HTTPS) after which you have an encrypted connection.  Just like with HTTPS, you need a certificate on the server side and can optionally use one on the client side.  So my question was, basically, if you're serving yourdomain.com from cPanel, whether the cPanel email integration can also use use your certificate and private key to encrypt SMTP connections. 

Also, is there some limit on the number of mailboxes?  Being able to serve a whole email domain with unlimited mailoxes from a $5/year shared hosting instance is an amazing value.  Other places charge $10+ per year per mailbox.  Of course you could self-host with a VPS but then you're constantly maintaining spam filters and everything else.

amuck-landowner