amuck-landowner

GreenValueHost becoming ColoCrossing, dumping providers, etc.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Yeah I'd have to agree with that assessment. Inside job has my vote.
Definitely, and it is to be expected when someone hires poorly vetted skids and fires them.

I think the biggest concern right now is that neither Jon or anyone on his "staff" are knowledgeable enough to do the required security analysis that should be done after a hacking

Since customer information was compromised, including their WHMCS billing information, Jon also needs to follow the legally mandated notification procedures that 46 states have in place, and he doesn't get an out from doing this.  It's not an option, and posting some bullshit pseudo press release on LET won't even come close to meeting the legal requirements.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah I'd have to agree with that assessment. Inside job has my vote.
The inside part is always a consideration.  There were obviously quite a few people inside and 3rd party firms who knows who doing what along the way....

Hate to say it, but, textbook example of why to have limited people in your business, ever.

No secret either that policies/passwords/etc. probably weren't up to standards on complexity, rotation, etc.  I'd find the info, but Google says I am over quota for tonight :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Definitely, and it is to be expected when someone hires poorly vetted skids and fires them.

I think the biggest concern right now is that neither Jon or anyone on his "staff" are knowledgeable enough to do the required security analysis that should be done after a hacking

Since customer information was compromised, including their WHMCS billing information, Jon also needs to follow the legally mandated notification procedures that 46 states have in place, and he doesn't get an out from doing this.  It's not an option, and posting some bullshit pseudo press release on LET won't even come close to meeting the legal requirements.
Bop, you bad bad man.... Have we found 1 company complying yet?  I tell you, with all the hungry lawyers out there, I see a lawsuit niche.  Time for a precedent.

Such onerous regulations.  Totally unsuitable for agile, next generation movers and shakers :) (with lousy ratio of customers to real employees)...

Hell maybe he can direct a third world help desk to comply via Fiverr?

Hxxx

Inside job definitely.

Data leaks is something every provider is worried about 24/7, even if you are investing money into it, is never guaranteed (WHMCS exploits, SolusVM exploits  // 0 days ,etc). Quite unfortunate  this happened to them. Still it can happen to anyone.

Nice to see everyone concerned about Jon and all of that. Is good to know that some people still have honor and humanity.

Still what was the purpose of all the circle show? I feel this was a successful marketing strategy.

I also see Jon commenting instead of the guy appointed as CEO(that worked for EIG). Whatever happened to that? I though Mr Jon was going to do sales, however he seem to be the only one worried about GVH.

Drama, I need to leave some references:

omg-somebody-call-the-police-seems-legit_o_843499.gif

----------------------------------------------------

How it all started: 

areyounotentertained.jpg

-----------------------------

Current Status: 

zuckerberg-notepass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Bop, you bad bad man.... Have we found 1 company complying yet?
The majority of companies that are run like real companies do comply, but if you're talking about companies like GVH than probably not because a large portion of them are even more clueless about business 101 than they are about the technical side.

I tell you, with all the hungry lawyers out there, I see a lawsuit niche.  Time for a precedent.
There already is a lawsuit niche and there are plenty of horror stories of small companies that have been financially devastated after getting hit with lawsuits from customers, fines from card issuers and governments, etc after a hacking.  Luckily for the average company in the low low low end sector, the kids, skids, and spammers that many of these companies cater to are unlikely to take legal action.

edit:

Quite unfortunate  this happened to them. Still it can happen to anyone.
Data breaches can happen to any company in any industry, but if you're reckless in your hiring practices like GVH and don't properly vet the people who you give system access to then you greatly increase the risk of being compromised.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I also see Jon commenting instead of the guy appointed as CEO(that worked for EIG). Whatever happened to that? I though Mr Jon was going to do sales, however he seem to be the only one worried about GVH.
Oh you missed that in the mega thread.. Jonny fessed up on that LET thread that he lied and manufactured the whole shebang - the new CEO or whatever...

Due to initial privacy concerns and a verbal non disclosure agreement I was unable to be honest with the situation in it's entirety. I deeply apologize for this and would like to take this opportunity to provide an explanation.

Yes, we do have multiple people working under aliases. Tyler is the real name of both aliases, and yes, he does run AH. Tyler has only recently started working a few days ago, however is actually appointed interim Operations Director to help the company get back in shape.

As he specifically requested to be unpaid and not to receive compensation, he does not benefit from this other than the fact that improving the company would trigger a domino effect that would improve our overall services, which he makes use of. AH and GVH are separate companies, independently operated. Lance remains stable and firm as our CEO, with the 'Operations Director'/COO title being assigned to the member of staff responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations and making sure the company runs smoothly. As of right now on an interim accord, that is Tyler, or 'Jaroslav'.

Big picture, I don't think many folks want to get anywhere near GVH right now, in any capacity.  Tyler/Alan probably ran to escape the hell that shall pursue him as it did the HostUs owner when they hitched to GVH and people cancelled and bailed due to GVH/CC relationship.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Big picture, I don't think many folks want to get anywhere near GVH right now, in any capacity.
Big picture on LET/B is that if Charles Manson posted an offer for 8GB/$5 there would unfortunately be people lining up to buy because who can pass up a really good deal.  GVH (like CVPS before them) has alienated many people but there is always a fresh supply of new bargain hunters coming in the door. :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Big picture on LET/B is that if Charles Manson posted an offer for 8GB/$5 there would unfortunately be people lining up to buy because who can pass up a really good deal.  GVH (like CVPS before them) has alienated many people but there is always a fresh supply of new bargain hunters coming in the door. :p
There's no doubt that there are ample e-crackheads over there on LE*. Knowing what I do, that marketplace might move inventory, but retention is laughable and expectations are unrealistic.  Then again, many of the offering companies are equally laughable and unrealistic.

It's interesting that GVH Jonny loved CVPS-Fab so much, he modeled his business after CVPS.  Same scandal PR, no news is bad snooze,  same wonky mega plans on overloaded nodes, same network,  same shit customers, even the same damn official title.

Purchaser alienation won't happen though because of these two, where it will happen from is here, these are the seeds of destruction:

"If the customer doesn't do research before purchasing, it is the customer's fault." - mpkossen

When that marketplace is unregulated and ran by proven cheats... You know what happens, the customers are the victims.

There is a reason civilized countries have consumer protection, fair business practices, laws against false testimonials, etc.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
My concern with this whole "An Hero" case is that it could very well be a ploy.

I mean, he appointed the whole 'CEO' thing as a way of getting heat off himself.

The people that called the police did the right thing but that doesn't mean it wasn't planned

to some extent.

I would hope that this whole hack business isn't a ploy.

All I can say is that this shouldn't back the pressure off him and all this crap.

Let him get things squared and settled but he has a lot to answer for.

Francisco

EDIT - added "the police"

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
The people that called the police did the right thing but that doesn't mean it wasn't planned

to some extent.
Man that would be evil if that was planned. Though since he has a established history of using the S word, I guess its not out of the question.

What happens when he is a grown up and is looking for a job. More and more places Google your name. It could result in a very bad outcome.

I think not only does he need to be concerned about the vulnerability currently in his business but his own personal brand.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Man that would be evil if that was planned. Though since he has a established history of using the S word, I guess its not out of the question.

What happens when he is a grown up and is looking for a job. More and more places Google your name. It could result in a very bad outcome.
Luckily for him he has a very common Vietnamese name. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Jonathan%20Nguyen

Can't even find any mention of GVH-Jon on Google using his real name.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You know that LE* scenario about sole operators, the one guy operations, and that potential for random bus accidents, planes landing on them or a pack of kangaroos punting their head off....

Yeah, folks have never contemplated their VPS and data being held hostage or lost due to self determination choices like the mighty S.

Another reason to select real hosts, with real employees, real structure, real contingency plans. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

I think not only does he need to be concerned about the vulnerability currently in his business but his own personal brand.
The only way I'd believe a bit of this is if he began meetings with a real doctor about his mental instability.

Not "Oh I saw Dr. Nick Rivera and now i'm alllll better!" but someone that'll get him real help.

You don't go publicly writing (and now archived) that you're going to kill yourself with a knife.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
See, I just want to know, who let's a 16 year old kid run a company a gazillion hours a week, while he has school (yeah I know out now)... But the other 9 months.  Where is Lance the incorporator?  Where are Jonny's parents?  Where is common sense?  GVH has been mixed in lots of stuff, dealing with characters that minors shouldn't be.

I've threaded the line on this situation, said my piece to people inside and outside.   It's not right what is going on.  To me it feels like exploitation.  I went and helped GVH during quieter period precisely due to this self-harm threat stuff last go round.  So have others.   Every time, good hearted people get roped and stuff repeats.

If I ran a colo/server company and knew I had this kid buying stuff I'd be shaking him off, sending him packing.  Don't these companies in this industry give a shit who buys from them?   Do people not care about liability for enabling this stuff?  The kid seriously could be intending on hurting himself or worse, others in the process.  His failure due to this isn't going to make it any better.  Do we keep giving him deals, and buying his services because we feel bad for him?  Pity purchases. Do we all become enablers? At some point, it's not being mean it's just reality that needs to shine through here.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
amuck-landowner