amuck-landowner

GreenValueHost outsources customer support to India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanD

Verified Provider
Well, I am liking you more and more Daniel. :)

Totally management heavy.  Dead weight.   At this stage normal companies pay consultants who are basically ninjas and pay them respectable amounts (i.e. thousands of dollars a month minimum).  When / if next much larger financial stage / threshold is met, certain folks get asked to join the team, usually for a cut in their rates (still getting paid) and equity interest.

I am fairly dumbfounded.   Employees are expensive.   Titles are cheap though.  Young ones love those titles.  Resume fodder.
The sad reality is that as a hiring manager, anyone with experience can easily see it's nothing but title fluff. I guess it's cool to impress your friends with some lofty title but it doesn't serve well for resume fluff ;)

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider
Well, I am liking you more and more Daniel. :)

Totally management heavy.  Dead weight.   At this stage normal companies pay consultants who are basically ninjas and pay them respectable amounts (i.e. thousands of dollars a month minimum).  When / if next much larger financial stage / threshold is met, certain folks get asked to join the team, usually for a cut in their rates (still getting paid) and equity interest.

I am fairly dumbfounded.   Employees are expensive.   Titles are cheap though.  Young ones love those titles.  Resume fodder.
Haha, thanks. I learned one lesson from visiting LET, WHT, VPSBoard etc. Keep your mouth shut and do your thing. 

- Daniel :)

Hxxx

You guys dont use the IRC right? Is like a ghost town. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I'll idle in VPSB IRC from time to time... but the typical activity is akin to what you'd get on a gradeschool playground, so I admittedly contribute little.  Mainly active on ours.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You guys dont use the IRC right? Is like a ghost town. LOL
I only infamously lurk IRC.   I am with Ald on the grade school tactics.  

Some good IRC only stuff from time to time though.  

+1 for a GVH IRC channel :)

hellogoodbye

This is kind of OT, but... is it normal for a company to step in and solve problems for their upstream provider? Just asking this because there's a thread about Hudson Valley Host at LET and Jon stepped in to take over the issue.

Ernie literally just called it a night like a few minutes ago and signed off Skype.

There's no need to mass post everywhere I'm sure he's not ignoring you on purpose. PM me, I have all the answers to your questions and can help clear up anything you need
It just strikes me as odd since I would have expected client information/tickets/etc. to be confidential, not to mention the whole keeping the entire exchange restricted to PMs where others cannot see what is being said and how the questions/problems are being resolved. Even if no confidential information about clients is being shared between the two companies, is it normal for companies to resolve problems for each other in general? Honest question here, since I mostly only see companies saying things like "I've ordered a VPS from them before, they were professional and the speeds were great" but never outright take over an issue like that.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I literally JUST hired a person a few minutes ago to join our management team as Vice President of Sales & Relations and Lead Systems Administrator

Part time employee paid by the hour on contract.

//same facepalm I used when you said you hired a several highly skilled systems adminstrators who were being paid top dollar and said they were being paid by the hour instead of an annual salary.

our CEO, and myself..

CEO= your friend Lance the violin player in Illinois who formed the LLC because you couldn't legally form a company because you were underage?  What exactly does Lance do with GVH (besides filing the annual paper work late so GVH spent some time in bad standing with Illinois 2 months ago)?

Simple, CAUSE -> EFFECT

Shut your trap, stop with the nonsensical babble and attempts at bragging and it'll all go away.

Best advice in this thread.  The "nonsensical babble and attempts at bragging" might impress your friends Jon and  a few low end consumers and serial abusers on LET/B/WHT but it drives away both experienced users and  business customers like moi who see through your steady stream of "nonsensical babble" and see a company whose management is inexperienced in almost all ways and advertising their lack of experience every time they open their mouth.  The "nonsensical babble" is also the reason you receive the negative reaction you do on forums (the negative reaction has absolutely nothing to do with jealousy of you or CC).

This is kind of OT, but... is it normal for a company to step in and solve problems for their upstream provider?

It's 6AM in France and Oles is still asleep so if you have any problems with your OVH service feel free to contact me and I'll solve them. :p

TL;DR no it's not normal in any industry for company A to attempt to solve the problems of company B's customers unless they are being paid by company B to do so..

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
^--- BipBOPPED!

I find the LET thread about GVH ahh very strange.  

On one hand I am cool with GVH-Jon being so helpful.  On the other I hear that Darth Vader voice in the background of the screen sharing  app.  Is that the creature at CC talking?  I kid.

Seems odd and very weird (We are nothing more than their customer).

Day GVH pulls plug at CC is day they are clean, or almost.  Until then you are on the watch list.

SERIOUS NOTE... Someone going to do something in Buffalo about uptime?  Network is mighty bad.  I was looking at Statuscake public reports and wow....  That's with 5 minute checks only.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
If any of you have access to the WHT prem section you might want to look at his posts there...

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Okay, well, I don't do this to crucify him intentionally.. however it does show that in this case one can lead the donkey to water.. etc.

Attempting to mend the hole that I've dug -- Any advice?

I don't know where to start..

I feel as if throughout my entire time so far on WebHostingTalk forums and my time running GVH, I have continuously dug somewhat of a hole that I find myself now trying to get out of.

I joined the hosting industry because of one reason, and one reason only: Because my heart loves this industry, and it is my passion.

Although it's quite obvious that I'm nowhere at that stage yet, my dream is to one day be the CEO and Owner of a large, successful, well-respected IT-based company with one of the largest datacenters in the country. I'm still working to achieve that goal, and I know that by putting a lot of hard work and a lot of determination, you can achieve anything.

I'm going to come out and say in public that so far in my journey I've made a lot of mistakes so far, and that I'm still learning to become what many people view as an 'ideal' business owner.

The most mistakes I've made so far as many of you have already seen is in my interactions with certain clients, and the way that I've handled public relations. I've said a lot of things that I regret saying, and a lot of decisions that I now regret making. I don't even know where to start to describe how badly I want to turn back time and make everything right.

I've been told several times that I shouldn't be handling public relations, and that I should hand over the job to someone else. Every word of that is true -- I'm not fit for PR, but I do try and I try my absolute best. Not a lot of my personal friends are "IT people", so I don't know where else to turn to. I try to learn more and meet new people that are more experienced than I am in this industry, but to be honest I haven't been that much successful.

I want to mend the whole that I've dug, I want to let people know that I'm sorry for any bad impression that I may have given off, and most of all, I want to fix what seems like an unstable reputation that's attached to me.

I want to start here by asking my superiors; the people whom I faithfully look up to as well-experienced pioneers of the hosting industry. Please help me; What should I do, and how do I go about doing it?

All opinions, criticisms, suggestions, feedback, or anything that you think I should hear is welcome.
This was almost a year ago. Suffice to say the (good) advice he received in that thread was completely ignored, habitually. I post/say this only in an attempt to stop the trolling.

GVH-Jon

Banned
I have all the answers regarding the network issues and rack space running out at CC, I'm more vocal and willing to extend a helping hand in public than anyone else that knows about the situation if you haven't noticed.

I'm trying to work with what I am allowed to say and what I'm not allowed to say -- Obviously I can't say certain things but I try mh best.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
And if you believe that, I have some ocean-front property in Kansas to sell you.  Cute little beach house.

It's funny, Jon, how you always respond and deny the claims, yet you ignore and never respond to the replies where people want proof, or bring up uncomfortable facts.  Almost like you can't prove anything you say.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I'm trying to work with what I am allowed to say and what I'm not allowed to say
Business executive/COO (who will "always be independent") or streetwalker (on a short leash) cowering in fear of her pimp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner