amuck-landowner

Lowendbox is a corrupt marketplace

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Take a few to read instead of asking for the tl;dr.  Having a half-assed understanding of a situation is where assumptions and (inevitably) annoying and time-consuming corrections originate.  Ever play that game where one person whispers a phrase to another, down the chain, and by the time it gets to the last bloke you've gone from "Tea on the patio" to "Anal with a porpoise"?  That's what happens when you don't take the time to understand what's happening.

jarland

The ocean is digital
It's up to vote.

I already brought this up to Jon earlier in the month though.

Francisco
Obviously I don't want to run around saying bad things about BuyVM, as great service as I've had all this time. I do, however, really want to see you in two US locations that don't involve CC. The network in Vegas is more than good enough, though my local run to it is a tad more than I'd like (I can't complain, East Texas to Vegas), but it's still great. Buffalo I just don't feel comfortable in even if I drop my feelings about who ran the power cable to the rack.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ever play that game where one person whispers a phrase to another, down the chain, and by the time it gets to the last bloke you've gone from "Tea on the patio" to "Anal with a porpoise"?
I laughed at your example of the game. I thought it was called, 'Chinese telephone' (or something), but I guess it's called, 'Chinese Whispers'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers Unsure why it's Chinese, but as a kid I remember doing that in Kindergarten or something. Maybe it was just me being a devious little cunt, but I'd change the 'whisper' drastically on purpose each time.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Maybe it was just me being a devious little cunt, but I'd change the 'whisper' drastically on purpose each time.
I always felt that was the underlying lesson of the game.  Not that repeating information would necessarily change it (if this were the case, society as a whole would've never made it to, let alone past, the middle ages) - but that in any situation of cooperation and trust, there will always be the one fellow that cocks it up intentionally to suit their own purposes (in this case, humour).  Never did know the name of it though;  I was the type of kid that intentionally avoided those situations due to either 1) having to work, or 2) already knowing the outcome, so Chinese Whispers works for me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bfj

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Obviously I don't want to run around saying bad things about BuyVM, as great service as I've had all this time. I do, however, really want to see you in two US locations that don't involve CC. The network in Vegas is more than good enough, though my local run to it is a tad more than I'd like (I can't complain, East Texas to Vegas), but it's still great. Buffalo I just don't feel comfortable in even if I drop my feelings about who ran the power cable to the rack.
You aren't the first alas. I have a lot of people on my case to get out of Buffalo since they refuse to use our east coast spots. They aren't making excuses either since they have mid/high priced services in LV and want to match the same on the east coast.

Francisco

shovenose

Verified Provider
You aren't the first alas. I have a lot of people on my case to get out of Buffalo since they refuse to use our east coast spots. They aren't making excuses either since they have mid/high priced services in LV and want to match the same on the east coast.

Francisco
Would love a non-CC east coast. Would probably get a BuyVM VPS for a ShoveHost shared hosting DNS server. Currently using DigitalOcean for that but while they've been solid they are not the most reliable feeling in the long-term.

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Great read and research. Sad to see the direction they are headed in. Almost like WHT they are not the same anymore last 5 - 6 years things started to change there too.

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Let me add some words out of the perspective of a EU customer.

Looking back to the last three years I think I know why Buffalo was rising that fast.

In the EU there are a lot of premium datacenters. So for a  low end user all offers in the main countries were out of reach.

All vserver offers started at 10-20€ a month. So 13$ up to 26$ a month for something like 128 MB of RAM.

Even today they do not sell anything below 10€ a month.

Now you get 1 GB of RAM for it, but PRQ, Swedendedicated, NetRouting, OVH, HostEurope, Hetzner, 1&1, Server4you, etc. started to sell dedicated servers for about 2x of this amount too.

So noone wanted to buy vps - it was cheaper to buy a good VPN service and one dedicated box.

After a while some crappy NL datacenters started to lease dedicated servers and some quite good UK based datacenters too.

About the same time the big content firewalls were build and a lot of people were not able to watch BBC or listen to UK based radios. You needed a UK based ip. Same with Xbox, PS, or Wii marketplace.

So UK, NL and CH started to sell IPs with the characteristic to be able to get access to the content.

B.t.w. I can't believe that they closed the doors to customers that wanted to pay for the content...

Swiss became the land of the VPN, because noone wanted to host anything there.

UK and NL do have greate peerings to the northern countries. But two things happend quite at the same time:

• The war of the UK providers.
  • And the crappy NL datacenters to become even worse.
Switching vps providers every two months was normal. After some time a lot of vps renters realized that:

1. Most content providers do accept US IPs too
  2. The ping of the east cost to EU is quite good.
  3. There are a lot of cheap US based providers.
NY was out of budget, Atlanta and Florida unknown and Carlifornia/Washington only fishing for Asia customers.

So everyone was buying Chicago and Buffalo based vps.

But times are changing again.

There are some UK based providers that seem to become solid enough.

And there a some NL based datacenters (the none crappy ones) that start to think that vps providers do not menace their dedicated server sells.

It might need 6 to 12 months but after that time the mood of the EU customers will change back to the state were they are able to host your stuff in the UK and NL without the fear of getting DDOSed and without the feeling of sitting on a dead horse.

And if you then need a US base vps - you want to buy it to reach a lot of US customers and not to have a good connection to the EU.

peterw

UK and NL do have greate peerings to the northern countries. But two things happend quite at the same time:
  • The war of the UK providers
I don't know why they attacked each other. They destroyed the image of UK hosting. I remeber all the buyouts, acquisitions, announced and not tranfered acquisitions of that time.

peterw

They're still going on.

Didn't Burst sell their UK location?

Francisco
You are right. They sold their left arm to UKFast: http://forums.burst.net/showthread.php?4908-Official-BurstNET-UK-UKFast-Statement

Statement on local newspapers:

According to UKFast, the deal with BurstNET for an undisclosed sum will see an additional 1,500 customers transfer to it on top of the 4,500 it claims to deal with already.

"I don't want a business that is a one trick pony," he said.

Shawn Arcus, CEO at BurstNET said the deal came about when it approached UKFast about moving ten racks from data centre provider Telecity.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I wasn't aware it happened until someone brought it up in the volumedrive thread.

Francisco

amuck-landowner