amuck-landowner

URPad closing locations, merging into 3 central non-rental datacenter --- DUMPS COLOCROSSING!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Well BuyVM was planning on it, and then Jon did them a favor and allowed them to leave earlier then what the original contract stated. So that's good, and nice of Jon to let them leave sooner rather than later. I don't think Jon saw it as a favor, but I think Fran and Pony does.
I doubt Jon has much of an opinion outside of "I got someone who will pay me a lot fucking more and talk a lot less shit". Jon was losing likely $1k/month+ off our contract and was either hoping to make it up with us on volume, etc.

The service was usually spot on with the only issues being the back talk we got and the 3 network outages we had. Jon manned up a while back and apologized to me for the issues we could show were CC related and the 3rd one we wrote off as a 'shit happens, stupid FreeBSD'.

All of my issues with them are entirely related to how LE is handled. Aldryic has no issues until someone starts swinging at me. Once that happens it's all pants off and all ties on.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Indeed, that is going to be quite a big hit loosing both of them. 
Which means.... it is time for CVPS to have some server special dedicated offering if the servers are old.  

Otherwise, who in CC land gets some new servers for expansion and a crazy offer (inheriting URPad's servers)...  Hudson Valley Host is my guess.   But really, CC is due to rollout some more brands, cause the old ones have been beat.   See today's LEB offer.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I doubt Jon has much of an opinion outside of "I got someone who will pay me a lot fucking more and talk a lot less shit". Jon was losing likely $1k/month+ off our contract and was either hoping to make it up with us on volume, etc.
What Jon's not of the school of thought that all shit talking about CC is good publicity?   When did he come to his senses?

BREAKING NEWS:

BuyVM was lured to Buffalo with low low prices, so Jon could sell that location to others.

When the Pony Express leaves, others are following.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I'm expecting alot of drama on LE* because of the "sudden" leave from so many locations.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I'm expecting alot of drama on LE* because of the "sudden" leave from so many locations.
Hmm, not so sure, if anything people should be expecting it to happen more now so it should come with less of a surprise.

nunim

VPS Junkie
What Jon's not of the school of thought that all shit talking about CC is good publicity?   When did he come to his senses?

BREAKING NEWS:

BuyVM was lured to Buffalo with low low prices, so Jon could sell that location to others.

When the Pony Express leaves, others are following.
It was Chris that was of the school of thought that all publicity is good publicity, which is true to an extent.  BuyVM is only one rack in Buffalo, doesn't sound like that huge of a loss for CC. I'm not sure how many servers URPAD had with them but I would hate to be customers getting shifted to a new location, I'm sure this will piss off a lot of customers.

Alto

Not sure what it was, but something always put me off URPad. Obviously glad I didn't pick any plans up now, I'd be pissed had I gone for Iceland.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Hmm, not so sure, if anything people should be expecting it to happen more now so it should come with less of a surprise.
We are talking about LE*, there will always be someone who "never got the email" and are furious because of this "out of the blue" shutdown of locations.

It has happened before and will happen again. Probably not as escaleted as before since many of the "old" users are not so active there anymore.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Agree @nunim.... In this industry really hard to say who is what size.  URPAD + BuyVM has to equal some serious containers total.

Hard to remember back pre-BuyVM in Buffalo... but Buffalo took off when they headed there --- well as much as it probably ever is going to.  My opinion is things have never sold in Buffalo anywhere near level of Cali/Vegas for them.   

I know of multiple companies that gave Buffalo a shake from VPS offering but pulled out due to lack of interest from customers.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Apologies if this was mentioned already... but have you created recent backups of customers data on the nodes you are moving before making this announcement? Not that I would think any datacenter would stoop so low to do anything to try to delay or prevent you from moving, though in this industry you never know.

Artie

Anyone else having intermittent issue accessing urpad.net and it's client area?

I smell <insert conspiracy here>.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
We are aware our billing panel is down, it appears we are sustaining a heavy DDoS attack at this time

RandalBurns

Apologies if this was mentioned already... but have you created recent backups of customers data on the nodes you are moving before making this announcement? Not that I would think any datacenter would stoop so low to do anything to try to delay or prevent you from moving, though in this industry you never know.
Yes, We have backups. :)

jarland

The ocean is digital
I do think that very much so. If you ignore all opinion about the buffalo dc, forget any beef anyone has with them, and just google for statements of clients all the way back through the beginning of velocity servers, you'd see a glaringly obvious trend of spiteful actions toward clients, new and old.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I do think that very much so. If you ignore all opinion about the buffalo dc, forget any beef anyone has with them, and just google for statements of clients all the way back through the beginning of velocity servers, you'd see a glaringly obvious trend of spiteful actions toward clients, new and old.
Randal says they've created backups of all client data. Which is good. No 'magic hard drive failures' now. Well, I guess that can still happen but atleast they have a copy of the data offsite.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
See URPad was even civil to their "former" datacenters.  Mentioning them and all chummy.   No foul bud, we just need to take control of our stuff and control costs and resources better. 

Hehe and they still get DDoS'd.  Let me guess DNS amplification again?

I bet if they migrate their control panel stuff over to Colocrossing then the DDoS will magically cease.

Hey it worked for Lowendtalk/box right :)?

Perhaps Root Level should read about my experience with those double crossing bastards in Buffalo:

http://vpsboard.com/topic/2198-dealing-with-the-buffalo-ddos-mafia/

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
See URPad was even civil to their "former" datacenters.  Mentioning them and all chummy.   No foul bud, we just need to take control of our stuff and control costs and resources better. 

Hehe and they still get DDoS'd.  Let me guess DNS amplification again?

I bet if they migrate their control panel stuff over to Colocrossing then the DDoS will magically cease.

Hey it worked for Lowendtalk/box right :)?

Perhaps Root Level should read about my experience with those double crossing bastards in Buffalo:

http://vpsboard.com/topic/2198-dealing-with-the-buffalo-ddos-mafia/
Well, I'd be happy to share what logs I could to help. I'm sure others would too. All I know is that every time vpsBoard has a 'controversial' thread posted, namely anything regarding a certain DC, it seems to attract some level of DDoS. Then TeraFire posts a 'refugee offer' (which was quite good, btw. I got a nice yearly VPS with them) and they've gotten hit hard. Though in IRC he said, "I think urpad is replacing us as the target for ddos". Wonder if the attack on TeraFire has stopped as the target has shifts to URPad? Anyway, h may have some logs that would help out.

Still, best case scenario likely is just proving we're all being hit the same.

EDIT: Of course I'm not saying they are behind the attacks. I'm just saying it's such an insane  coincidence though.

amuck-landowner